Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help request finding out about my granddad - Frederick James Spooner 31470 RFA

rod spooner

Help request finding out about my granddad - Frederick James Spooner 31470 RFA

My granddad joined the Royal Regiment of Artillery Horse & Field Artillery on 11/5/1903

prior to enlisting he served with 2nd NB Royal West Kent Regiment.He worked with horses but was made a driver (he always disliked motor vehicles).

He moved to Australia but was on reserve and returned to serve in France.

At the time of discharge he was a Driver Regiment No.3 Depot RFA, Discharge at Hilsea June 30 1916 after 4 years 194 days with the Colours and 8years 220 days reserve.

What I am trying to find out is what unit did he serve with in France? Would he have been involved in the second battle at Ypres?

and what do they mean by "with the Colours"? Also what type of equipment artillery / vehicles would his unit have used as I would like to create a model to honour him.

Any assistance appreciated.

Cheers Rodney Spooner

Adelaide, Australia

Welcome to the Forum Rod,

Your grandfather's record has survived and can be viewed on Ancestry UK or Findmypast. When he was recalled from the Reserves he arrived at 4B Reserve Brigade RFA, Woolwich on December 19, 1914 and was posted to 22nd Reserve Battery. On January 25, 1915 he was posted to 459th Howitzer Battery on its formation at Woolwich for the new 118th Brigade RFA. This brigade embarked Southampton on March 10, 1915 on “SS Empress Queen” and “SS Courtfield” and disembarked at Havre on March 11 - 12, 1915. It joined 1st Canadian Division on March 14, 1915. Your grandfather served with 459th Howitzer Battery until May 20, 1916 when he was returned to No. 3 Depot RFA. The guns he would have been familiar with during his time in France were 4.5" Howitzers.

Service with the Colours just means being in the actual Army rather than being a reserve. The total term was 12 years but a year was added when war broke out. Despite the Military Service Act coming in early 1916, he was allowed to be discharged rather than having to continue his service for the rest of the war.  

Dear David,

Thank so much for the information it is much appreciated. Even as an ex serviceman myself the different terminology and lack of "local" knowledge can make gaining a clear understand that little more complex. Your information presented a very clear record and I thank you so much.

Now I am off to do a little more research and find a model of a 4.5" Howitzer.

Cheers

Rodney Spooner.

Who is a long way from Essex! (Where Fred was from).

5 hours ago, rod spooner said:

He worked with horses but was made a driver (he always disliked motor vehicles).

Hi Rod,

Welcome to GWF.

So far as I understand it, and I'm not a RA aficionado, in the RFA & RGA "Driver" referred to the rank & the role of a driver of a horse, drawing a gun/howitzer, not a motor vehicle [as opposed to Gunner who operated a gun/howitzer] - so not so far off the mark for him I guess.

If he was familiar with 4.5" howitzers those were typically horse-drawn I believe.

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418

Some very interesting reading there! It sounds like he would have had a very challenging experience to say the least.

Thank you again for helping me to build a picture, I was only young when he passed and my dad never communicated much about family history.

cheers Rodney Spooner

3 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

Hi Rod,

Welcome to GWF.

So far as I understand it, and I'm not a RA aficionado, in the RFA & RGA "Driver" referred to the rank & the role of a driver of a horse, drawing a gun/howitzer, not a motor vehicle [as opposed to Gunner who operated a gun/howitzer] - so not so far off the mark for him I guess.

If he was familiar with 4.5" howitzers those were typically horse-drawn I believe.

:-) M

Thank you. Your correct!  His unit was horse drawn. Cheers Rodney