Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Auckland Regiment NZEF

Mark Hone

I would be very grateful to know if any Pals have detailed information about the activities of this battalion in early May 1915. Our Bury Grammar School ANZAC, Private Richard Wild died of wounds on 10th May 1915. As an ex-member of the 1st (Volunteer) Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers he is most appropriately buried in Lancashire Landing Cemetery.

post-2-1055603998.jpg

Mark,

Given that he died of wounds, it seems most likely he was wounded in the attack on Krithia made on 8th May at the end of the 2nd Battle of Krithia (6-8 May). The NZ brigade Auckland, Wellington & Canterbury Units supported this attack. They advanced through the 88th Brigade moving up Fir Tree Spur with the objective of capturing Krithia with the Aucklanders in the centre and Wellingtons on the left (Canterburys on the right). The right of the Wellingtons and the Auckalnders made it forward some 400 yards against unseen opposition before being driven back with heavy losses. A subsequent attack by the AIF (5th & 8th Bns, I think) fared no better. I imagine it was this attack that did for Private Wild.

There may be more info in the NZ Official History for Gallipoli (below) and the Aussie Official History - I will check them if I can dig them out.

Major Fred Waite

THE NEW ZEALANDERS AT GALLIPOLI.

Publisher: Whitcombe & Tombs, 1921

Vol. I of "Official History of New Zealand's Effort in the Great War"

The most useful would be the Aucklander's History but this is like gold dust!

2/Lieut.O.E.Burton, M.M.

The Auckland Regiment 1914-1918, NZEF

Publisher: Auckland, Whitcombe & Tombs 1922

Hope that this is useful.

Martin

Chris Pugsley's Gallipoli - The New Zealand Story (Hodder & Stoughton 1984) is also a good source for the activities of the NZEF in 1915. It is out of print, but I see there are several copies on Abebooks.

Thanks Pals. I will try to obtain the sources you mention. As I may have mentioned on the forum before , I am in the early stages of planning a school trip to Gallipoli in the 90th anniversary year. 6 former pupils of our school, including Richard Wild, died there. I still find it very eerie that he fought alongside so many of his neighbours and schoolfriends even though he had emigrated to the other side of the world.