Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2021 Armistice Commemorations

keithmroberts

The Salonika Campaign Society always takes part in the annual events and lays wreaths ay the British Memorial to the Missing, at the multi nation event at Polycastro, and at the Lembet Road Cemetery.  Last year I visited the three locations with local SCS members and the official Brish Government representative although the only event that was held officially was a reduced one at Polycastro.

We expect that this year will again only see the one much reduced event, although it can be very late before details are confirmed.  The SCS intends to be represented, and Alan Wakefield SCS Chair, and I plan to be there, along with our local members and will lay wreaths at Lembet Road on September 25th and at the Doiran memorial and Polycastro on the 26th. 

There is no SCS tour again this year because of Covid restrictions, but I plan to be in Thessaloniki for a few days prior to that weekend. Apart from Lembet Road, and the British cemetery on Colonial Hill I hope to visit the Sarigol Military Cemetery and can take photographs of any graves at those locations only,  if members send me a message including specific details including the grave row and number.

The only caveat is that if Greece is rated red on the next traffic light review, we will be unable to travel out from the UK because of the 11 days mandatory hotel quarantine on return. If that happens we hope that our local members will be able to lay the wreaths in any event.

Hello Keith. Many thanks for you kind offer to take photographs of graves out in Salnoika. I would be very grateful if you could take any of the following six graves all at Sarigol. No 1 Pte 8881 H PARKINSON 2nd K O R L R grave ref B 258, No 2 A/Cpl 14791 H LORD 10th Devon R grave ref A 102, No 3 Pte 58618 G W THARBY 2nd Cheshire R grave ref A 48, No 4 Pte 202087 A W GILDERSLEEVES 2/5 Durham L I grave ref C 435 No 5 Pte 33425 J TYSON 12th Lancahire Fus grave ref D 638 and No 6 Pte 20857 T BATT 9th East Lancs grave ref D 603. 

Hi Keith

Could I please have a photo of the grave of

PRIVATE S STEELE 

Service Number: 13834
Regiment & Unit/Ship

Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry

7th Bn.

Date of Death

Died 09 May 1917

Buried or commemorated at

SARIGOL MILITARY CEMETERY, KRISTON

A. 104.

Greece

have a great trip

Mandy

Hi Keith. Thanks for offering to take pics once again. I'd be much obliged to receive the following:

17032 Pte John BURR, 9th Glos 1/9/1917 buried at Lembet Rd M C Grave 1163

15975 Pte Charles Andrew BEZER, 7th R Berks 8/11/1916 buried at Lembet Rd M C Grave 667

Hope the restrictions don't spoil it for you

I'll just reply once, to all. I'll review this thread before my departure, and aim to obtain the photographs. I'll not be acknowledging individual requests in the meantime, I'll just make a note of them, and be in touch in early October to arrange to send the images.

I'll be aiming to visit Sarigol around the 20th or 21st so requests after that date are likely to be unfortunate.

Keith

Hi Keith, tried to send you PM but your inbox must be full.

Thank you for your kind offer to photograph soldier's graves on your trip to Salonika. If it goes ahead, please can you photograph the following for me they are both at Sarigol:

Pte Walter Brassingham RASC DM2/170865 Sarigol D703

Sgt William Douglas RASC DM2/195008 Sarigol D595

Thanks Mark

Edited by Gardenerbill

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your offer of photographs from Sarigol.

I would appreciate a photo of the grave of 03993 LCpl Charles W Griffin, Army Ordnance Corps, 17 July 1917, Sarigol B.332

Many thanks,

I'm travelling out on Saturday, so am fairly unlikely to pick up any further requests.

I'll aim to visit Lembet Road in my first couple of days in Thessaloniki, because our visit the following weekend to lay a wreath at the British section of the cemetery will probably be  brief and informal, as there is no event there again this year, and that will leave time for a modest recce up country.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back at home, shivering after leaving Thessaloniki in 28 -29 degrees, and think I covered all requests. I have separated the photos into separate folders for the two cemeteries concerned, and would appreciate it if friends wanting photos would send me a PM with an email address.

I will then set up sharing from the relevant folder, which will enable viewing and downloading of the files wanted. I hope to do some limited tidying, removing duplicates, cropping images etc, and once all have had their copies I will move the images into my permanent folders for those sites and the link will no longer work.

Please just confirm when you have your copies.

Keith

Hi Keith
Received my 3 requested pix which are marvellous - you've never let me down. Thank you! [That Serbian Memorial is spectacular]

Thanks Keith for the photos.  Maybe one day I will visit Sidney’s grave.  If I ever get back to WFA meeting’s, I will tell you of my connection to Sidney.

Mandy