Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edward Warren Baker 16th Battalion Lancashire Fusilers

Bridget1972

Hi, I've been searching for a pic of my Great Uncle Edward Warren Baker who was in the 16th Battalion of the Lancashire Fusilers, he was born 27th Oct 1899 in Bristol and died 17th June 1918 France aged just 18 years old, I have searched for the past two years for a photo of him but sadly haven't been able to find one, I do know a bit about his last moments as I have made friends with a lady who's Great Uncle was also killed in action the same day as Edward(His name was George John Mills aged 18) and she managed to get hold of a war diary, they were the only two boys killed that day from that battalion. My friend has managed to find a photo of her Uncle George which is amazing, I would so love to be able to find a photo of mine too, if anyone can help I would be so grateful. Thank you

• Admin

Welcome to the Forum

Could you please let us know his service number.

Regards

Russ

Edit: From the information provided I can see it's 62571

• Admin

He was posted to the 16th Lancashire Fusiliers in France on the 9th May 1918, the draft joined the Battalion in the field on the 11th May.  Unfortunately no mention of the draft in the war diary which you can download for free from TNA if you register.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_col=200&_cr1=WO+95&_hb=tna&_q=16+Lancashire+Fusiliers

He was originally buried at Barleyville Orchard Cemetery (along with Pte. Mills) where it appears the Battalion was billeted when out of the line.

It's unlikely therefore you will find a photograph of him whilst serving with that Regiment.

He would have been called up for military service within three months of his eighteenth birthday and it appears from surviving records he was initially posted to 53rd (Young Soldier) Battalion Hampshire Regiment.  From there he was posted to 51st Graduated Battalion Hampshire Regiment on the 3rd April 1918. prior to embarkation for France in a draft  (Companies within Graduated Battalions were grouped by birth date) on the 3rd May.  Suggest you take a look at the Long Long Trail which tells you where these Battalions were stationed during his service

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/hampshire-regiment/

Local photographers often sought business at these training establishments. You might find a group photo but then you have to identify him within the group.

In April 1918 following the german Spring Offensive the Government lowered the age for overseas service from nineteen to eighteen and half provided the recruit had six months training in the UK.  It may therefore have been an expectation that he had plenty of time for photographs whilst in the UK, but in the end did not.

There is no specific mention of him (other than the casualty list) and therefore no photograph that I could find in the online newspapers.  Never say never though, have you tried the extended family?

Thank you so much for replying and the information, Sadly no I don't have any extended family to ask as they are all since passed away, I only found out about Edward when I joined Ancestry two years ago. I will def keep searching though as I love to put a face to his name.

On a similar quest.  Try the British newspaper archives.  A small subscription gives you full access.  In truth i find the site a struggle  but it can bring up some gems.

Also many local papers will have published small obits on those that died. Sometimes published after the war.  Many local councils have digitised or done work in these areas especially around the 100 year anniversary.  Depending where he was in Bristol, specifically his family in 1918 the local authority may have something online.

good luck

Thank you. I have spent the past few couple of days searching newspapers etc and have sadly come up empty, will continue my search though as hopefully someone out there has a pic of him.

Edward is named in War Office Casualty List No 5630 dated 29/07/1918 (In FMP Weekly list 06/08/1918)

Killed - Lancashire Fusiliers.

Baker, 62571 E W (Bristol).   

Jordan, 62622 A (Birmingham).

Mills, 57006 G J (Berkhamstead).

Nash, 62638 R C (Bath).

All are 16 Bn LFs and all are buried in Cabaret Rouge Brit Cem, Souchez. You are right, E Baker and G Mills were k in a on 17/06/1918 and A Jordan and R Nash were k in a on 21/06/1918.

His NOK in RSE is mother Louisa. Some families chose not to send a photograph and brief biography to the local papers. There might be something in the Personal Columns.

Brian

Have you considered the local library and likely microfesh of newspapers from the period?  Time consuming but may be your last resort.  A chat with a good local reference librarian and a few hours searching from the 29th of July 1918.  Most papers carried Obits and many with pictures.  Finding the relative local paper of the day also important.

17 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

His NOK in RSE is mother Louisa. Some families chose not to send a photograph and brief biography to the local papers. There might be something in the Personal Columns.

Bridget,

The Western Front Association / Fold 3 have a number of pension record cards for him.

These give his mother's full(er?) name as Louisa Emma Baker (49), 27 Sussex St, Kingsland Rd, St Phillips, Bristol - these extra details may assist with your newspaper searching

Other notes show she got an Article 21 (1a) dependent's pension of 9/- pw from 21.1.19

Sadly there will be no main Awards Files to add more detail as two cards are annotated as Awards file destroyed 18-10-67

:-) M