Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

EVACUATION ROUTE 15TH July 15th 1916 Mametz Wood

BIFFO

would there have been designated  evacuation route /ADS,CCS for casualties of  the Welsh regiment on this day ?,

:poppy:

Looks like the 38th Welsh Division left Mametz Wood 12th July.

The only 38th Division dairy I have says they were relieved on the 12th July by 21st Division who have no Welsh Battalions.

TEW

Thank you Tim,:thumbsup:I have 2nd Batt w.r ITS SAYS THEY ALONG WITH THE LANCASHIRE REG ,CARRIED OUT BOMBING RAIDS,HELD UP BY HEAVY M/G,RIFLE FIRE AND HAD TO WITH DRAW ?i THINK i HAVE 38TH WD SOME WHERE WILL GO HAVE A LOOK SEE

Ah, yes! 2nd Welsh were 1st Division. Into Mametz Wood that day with casualties.

Will see what I have.

TEW

Thank you Tim,I dont know if it will help

Rees Jones 2nd Bat number 24810,,he must have been seriously wounded as he discharged 16 August 1916,he did get a pension and is in 1939 England/Welsh Register

Biffo,

There is a typed up set of Medical Arrangements 1st Division No. 110, dated 13/7/1916 so pretty contemporary!

It is in the ADMS diary:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14052637

The complicated aspect is they are talking about different routes for evacuations from the left & right fronts. I have no idea where the 2/WR were so I'm not sure which applies.

From Albert, those sent on to CCS would have done so via railway to Heilly and Vecquemont.

See how you get on with it.

TEW

Top man, Tim they were to the northern end of the wood,but after the mayhem god knows where the pb ended up,thank you once again for your help

:thumbsup:

tHANK YOU tIM,i HAVE HD A LOOK AT TNA,i SEE WHAT YOU MEAN,

by his M.I.C,the military really didnt hang about discharging him,

its a pity you cannot follow casualties back to recovery even find out their injuries,not for any gory reasons but adds closure to some extent 

only last week I had a conversation with a lady ,who`s grandfather she thinks was in R.F.A or R.H.A,he had a tremendous-scar on his chest,when ever any one asked what had caused it all he would say was war !!.:poppy:  

MIC.jpg

Hi Biffo,

The Silver War Badge record (Ancestry link) for 24810 Jones says that he was discharged as a consequence of sickness, rather than wounds. There is an index card on Fold3 which indicates that he was awarded a pension on the basis of suffering from chronic bronchitis.

image.png.e2fbb7174b02d43b9c279b342c74f79f.png
Image sourced from Fold3

Regards
Chris

Biffo,

Have to wonder where the date and 'being wounded' aspect comes from.  Are you certain he was in Mametz Wood and wounded that day?

Could he not have been evacuated sick earlier?

TEW

Tim,yes he could have well been evacuated earlier,which would explain his date of discharge,I have read the WD yet,but would be surprised if he were named,

I will take your advice:thumbsup:

and show he was discharged to to illness,,swb and pension