Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

some turkish gun batteries

martin75

Hello,

consulting certain Turkish documents concerning the operations of March 8 and 9, 1915, I find mentioned  Turkish batteries that I cannot identify  :  "Dardanos talim bataryasi"    /    "Sahte adi krup"   /    "Dardanos sahte bataryasi"

the first two are cited for March 9 and the third for March 8. On these two dates, two different names could perhaps designate the same battery ? I am thinking in particular of the 15 cm L / 14 guns established not far from Cape Kepez .

If anyone can help me he will be welcome .

Best regards

Claude

1 hour ago, martin75 said:

consulting certain Turkish documents concerning the operations of March 8 and 9, 1915, I find mentioned  Turkish batteries that I cannot identify  :  "Dardanos talim bataryasi"    /    "Sahte adi krup"   /    "Dardanos sahte bataryasi"

Dardanos talim bataryasi translates as 'Dardanos training battery' and the Mitchell Report p.422 has a reference to this for 9th/10th March

quote:- "9th/10th March. At 2.15 a.m., a number of torpedo boats came level with Mereyes Dere and entered Karanlik Liman and opened fire on the searchlights at Kephez. This fire was answered by a Krupp (non-Q.F.), a training, and a Mantelli battery at Dardanos on the Asiatic side, whereupon the torpedo boat drew off. Two minesweepers which were close to the line of the minefield were driven off by a Mantelli battery at Sowanli and a section of mountain guns at Tenker. This firing continued for half an hour."

Sahte appears to translate as 'fake' and must be a reference to the dummy batteries employed by the Ottoman defences

The sketch map below is from the Mitchell Report and may help

957886742_DardanosBatt.71Plate66crop.jpg.9b7cd885ed1bbaa46cf58e198ba3860f.jpg

Thanks for your answer.

the training battery could correspond to 15 cm L / 14.

I also translated "sahte" by false or dummy but according to the tables joined, it seems that this or these batteries were  real and active.

1705852999_march8.JPG.06c53ea35b7c9ca13fb310e32c00503a.JPG464158273_nightmarch9-10.JPG.fa2d665763d7c42e568b37bc29c17536.JPG

Hello,

I just found for the date of March 17 mentioned: "Anadolu sahte mantelli"; it is very probably 8.7 cm L / 24 so the "Dardanos sahte bataryasi" would be the 8.7 cm battery established not far from Kepez (9.Battery / 3. Agir Topçu Alayi) ; it would be the same as the "Sahte adi krup" quoted for the night of March 9 to 10.

If so, I don't know why these 8.7 cm L / 24 pieces would have the designation of "fake" ("sahte") rather than the usual designation of "mantelli".

If someone has additional information, he is welcome.

Best regards

Claude1894521061_march17.JPG.d83d8a8cfbd3253e00ff7e80f607a456.JPG

17 hours ago, martin75 said:

I am thinking in particular of the 15 cm L / 14 guns established not far from Cape Kepez .

I'm sorry Claude, but I cannot find any details to match the specific type of gun which you are looking for here

Perhaps someone else can help: good luck

Michael

Thanks Michael

I fear that my theory does not hold  because for the night of March 9 to 10, we find mentioned the "Dardanos mantelli" and a "sahte adi krup". It therefore seems that these are two separate batteries.

thus I made no progress concerning the battery or batteries qualified as "Sahte"

If someone can help ?

Claude

19 minutes ago, martin75 said:

If someone can help ?

Are the maps from the German official history I posted any help 

Hello Charlie,

the maps  you were kind enough to send me mention to the south of the Dardanos battery a "Sperrbatterie Messudieh" armed with two 12 cm howitzers that I cannot find anywhere in the Turkish documents that I have been able to consult. It could be an answer. Turkish documents mention in the sector south of Dardanos a 5.7 cm battery and another with four 8.7 cm guns. There too can be an answer?

Claude