The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any one recognize this shot down plane

arantxa

Thanks 

FCA30BF7-F3EA-45D9-ADB3-24C3177FCD0D.jpeg

A290AC8F-D08A-4C9E-A215-06713DACFC0D.jpeg

43A9B985-D910-4254-89F9-4EF828A1D15E.jpeg

The most interesting (for me) in this photo is that plate, stating British, AID (with a number below it?) and 11728.

I have a written reference to another plane found after the war with an AID number also.

Was there a list created after the war with plane wrecks found on the battlefield or could this has been for battlefield visitors? What could be the meaning of AID.

Luc.

That's a formidable Scrapheap Challenge, I'll offer up a guess.

Some Bregeut aircraft had the very stubby, flat topped vertical stabilizer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bréguet_14#/media/File:Bréguet_14_A.2_side.jpg

187462420_Screenshot2021-08-2920_18_38.png.f8b318cb3f944f2eb6e1c0a83365e3b3.png

The only other recognizable thing is the piece of manifold on the left

1083462287_Screenshot2021-08-2920_19_18.png.086e72c05d638b782467cb3914d3518b.png

I'm not an expert but I don't think it would come from a radial engine.

Dave

Isn't the circular item the magazine from a lewis gun?

7 hours ago, sdparker said:

Isn't the circular item the magazine from a lewis gun?

Certainly brings the description "String Bag" to life.

I'd agree. Two Lewis Gun drums ...... flanking a probable exhaust manifold bit.   Do you think the drums are deep enough to be the later 97 round RFC version or are these earlier standard 47 round drums? I'd hazard a guess at standard 47 round drums judging by the upturned one at the back. 

Hi

Thanks I posted two other crashed aircraft pics if you have any ideas I’d appreciate it

I think this was taken post war when the battlefields were being cleared. Interesting that there are no shots of the engine, fuel tanks or radiators etc. If they were present I would have expected them to be in the picture.  Perhaps it made a crash landing and was too exposed to be recovered in full. The RFC/RAF recycled and repaired as much as possible from crash sites. Alternatively, the retreating Germans would also have taken the metal parts for recycling. 

I doubt it’s a Brueget: if it is, the signpost is wrong. I thought they were only in use by the french and Americans. Background  looks chalky so maybe the Somme area which makes it more likely to be British. Frame size suggests a fighter(?). If it is indeed a post war shot then it could be a camel. 
Alec

Those are double drums so it won't be a Camel.lts an end of war photo and l think McCudden is right ,the German s have salved the valuable bits before they retreated.

Could be a SE 5 but odds are on it being a two-seater. RE 8?

I think the picture may be showing the remains of the left-hand wing rather than the fuselage structure. The clue is the number of I-beams shown which were used as the main spars in the wings. The fuselage in contrast used a spaceframe consisting of thinner struts to give it the required strength.

I may be wrong but the I-beams look to be made of metal rather than of the normal WW1 wooden construction which might cast doubt on the date of the photograph.

Two further observations. I think it is an upside down airframe (not unusual or surprising if the plane had to ditch on rough ground) which means that the strange object on the fin may actually be part of the tail skid. 

Secondly, the Lewis drum was probably left behind by advancing allies and so has nothing to do with the wrecked plane. I still think it looks Camel-like. 
Alec