Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Battalion DCLI - April 1916

RedCoat

Hi all,

My Great Uncle was admitted to hospital on the 28th April 1916 with what would later be diagnosed as "Neurasthenia (Mental)". He was a Company Sergeant Major at the time and had served continuously with the 2nd DCLI since they landed in France in December 1914. I suspect he was suffering from general burnout as he was posted back to France in October 1916 with the 1st DCLI and was later Commissioned. 

I have read the Official History for the DCLI and it mentions only one or two encounters with the enemy up until the time my Uncle was evacuated. I have looked for the War Diary but I suspect its not been digitised. 

Does any kind forum member have a copy of the War Diary? does it mention any attacks or enemy contact close to the date he was hospitalised? does the War Diary make mention of him leaving the Battalion?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Cheers

RC

The 2nd DCLI arrived in Salonika with 27th Division in December 1915 when British and French forces were in retreat. By the end of December most British forces were camped around Salonika and occupied with building the defensive "Birdcage Line", where they would remain for the first few months of 1916. There were no actions with the enemy as far as I am aware involving 2nd DCLI in April 1916, the order to move up country was only communicated to General Mahon on the 24th April. The Yeomanry squadrons had frequent contacts with the enemy at this time but 2nd DCLI were occupying part of the sector of the Birdcage line between Lake Langaza and Lake Beshik, the Bulgarians had halted their advance at the Greek border some distance to the north and east, so contact there was unlikely. The only way to find out definitively what the 2nd DCLI were doing in the last weeks of April is to look in the war diary, unfortunately the Salonika war diaries haven't been digitised.

• 2 weeks later...