Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Missing War Diary Maps for III Corps Medical Units, Summer 1916

KernelPanic

I'm trying to locate the various medical units for 1 Division at the end of July 1916. The WD of the III Corps DDMS has maps for April - June, and November. But unless I'm missing something, July - October appear to be missing, despite being mentioned on the cover pages for these months. Does anyone know if these maps exist anywhere?

Thanks

Yes, I see the cover sheet for July mentions appendices I - IV, the latter being the map.

I & II were extracted and filed under 'returns'. III is present but marked as Appx. A & B in blue crayon. And no map!

Do you have ADMS diary for 1st division? WO95/1243/2. That should also give details for locations as would the FA diaries. These are on Ancestry as well.

TEW

Thanks TEW.

I'm trying to piece together the events surrounding the death of a family member (Edward Thompson) who 'died of wounds' on July 24th 1916. He was a Gunner in the 54th Battery RFA. I presume he got at least part of the way down the evacuation route before he died. He is commemorated in the Thiepval Memorial, so no known grave.

Yes, I have the ADMS WD and the three FA WDs, but haven't gone through them yet see what the evacuation route might have been. Unfortunately none of these WDs appear to have maps, which would have been useful.

I agree that finding a decent map makes life a lot easier. I've found medical evacuations for artillery men either difficult or impossible. Only on rare occasions have I found a medical location or route mentioned.

Infantry medical evacuations are usually fairly straight forward. Obviously artillery are elsewhere so must feed into the chain somewhere.

I presume there's nothing for him or evacuation in the artillery diary?

I'm not that good on artillery either, are they 1st division artillery? I'm seeing 54th Brigade of 12th Division but no 54th battery.

He may of course have been killed outright.

TEW

56 minutes ago, TEW said:

I agree that finding a decent map makes life a lot easier. I've found medical evacuations for artillery men either difficult or impossible. Only on rare occasions have I found a medical location or route mentioned.

Infantry medical evacuations are usually fairly straight forward. Obviously artillery are elsewhere so must feed into the chain somewhere.

I presume there's nothing for him or evacuation in the artillery diary?

I haven't looked carefully yet.

57 minutes ago, TEW said:

I'm not that good on artillery either, are they 1st division artillery? I'm seeing 54th Brigade of 12th Division but no 54th battery.

Definitely 54th Battery, 39th Brigade, 1st Division

58 minutes ago, TEW said:

He may of course have been killed outright.

It's possible. His Effects record says 'In Action', but the Pension records say 'of wounds'. So a bit confusing.