Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone identify this device (in German Trench)

4thGordons

In a selection of photographs I just purchased was this picture.

Can anyone identify this device? I'm stumped.

deviceWeb.jpg.f9720b4501102f003f2c0322b683e04a.jpg

TIA Chris

A complete stab in the dark, but I'd guess some manner of acetylene searchlight or signal lamp, fed from the hoses running into the bottom of it.

15 minutes ago, Sarchet said:

A complete stab in the dark, ........ searchlight or signal lamp, fed from the hoses running into the bottom of it.

I see what you did there! :)

That's what I was thinking too  and assuming the windlass/handle with string elevates the platform and  light above the parapet by pulling up the middle of the mounting? And then the handle on the right side used for directing it (from below the parapet?)

But it looked to me as though there were shoulder straps hanging off the top of the device?

Thanks for the response

Chris

probably not carbide surely? All the carbide lamps I've come across (caving) use solid lumps of carbide in a container with a drip feed of water onto the top, the gas is then run off to be lit, whereas that appears to have two gas cylinders off to one side. Unless they have the acetylene pre made in them- oxy acetylene search lamp? 

Or could it be a lime light? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limelight

shoulder straps- someone had to get it out to the trench somehow :-)

1 hour ago, 4thGordons said:

I see what you did there! :)

That's what I was thinking too  and assuming the windlass/handle with string elevates the platform and  light above the parapet by pulling up the middle of the mounting? And then the handle on the right side used for directing it (from below the parapet?)

But it looked to me as though there were shoulder straps hanging off the top of the device?

Thanks for the response

Chris

I was assuming the straps were either for carrying the lamp, or for pulling a cover (maybe spring loaded?) down as needed. But that's just a guess, I'm not sure what the best source or even search terms would be to find out if it's right.

1 hour ago, Madmeg said:

probably not carbide surely? All the carbide lamps I've come across (caving) use solid lumps of carbide in a container with a drip feed of water onto the top, the gas is then run off to be lit, whereas that appears to have two gas cylinders off to one side. Unless they have the acetylene pre made in them- oxy acetylene search lamp? 

Or could it be a lime light? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limelight

shoulder straps- someone had to get it out to the trench somehow :-)

Ah, I think you might be right with the limelight. I've seen acetylene lamps fed from an exterior generator or prepared canister by tube but only with a single feed tube, so the limelight two tube feed makes more sense.

Hello,

It looks like a A.S. Scheinwerfer 25 by Carl Zeiss Jena.

Jan

It does look like the suggested signalling device (here's another link: http://firstwartechnik.free.fr/Dallprojecteurs.html)

They can send signals by raising the device up but how will they receive signals back to this position without sticking their heads out? 

Assaf

1 hour ago, assafx said:

It does look like the suggested signalling device (here's another link: http://firstwartechnik.free.fr/Dallprojecteurs.html)

They can send signals by raising the device up but how will they receive signals back to this position without sticking their heads out? 

Assaf

I was thinking the same but I think the chap on the right (as we look - who is facing right) is probably facing a loophole/observation point from where signals might be observed.

I assume most signalling would be backwards from the front line to the rear, or possibly along the line rather than forward.

Thanks all for the information and insight, great stuff.

Chris

Although I am not familiar with the A.C. 25 Scheinwerfer. From the name it can be taken as a 25cm search light. From the internals of the excavated example, it is clearly a limelight.  Lime lights were most efficient if using two gases (hydrogen and oxygen) being brought together to burn at a stick of calcium oxide which then glows brilliantly as a white light.

Limelight - Wikipedia

This can be used either as a spotlight/searchlight as in the theatrical application or as a signal lamp by providing a shutter mechanism to cover and uncover the lens, as with the various model of British Army limelights. The British Army models, reduced light efficiency for the sake of convenience in the field, using methylated spirits as the fuel, but still using pure oxygen which was manufactured in the field and stored in a fabric gas bag. A weight was placed on the bag in use to give a light pressure to the gas.

Cheers

Ross

(photos extracted from above photos and a photo taken from Flickr, were writing on the back identifies the equipment as an  A.C. 25 Scheinwerfer.

image.png.e74c6c636534cb05ddddd868b2f9fc18.png

• 1 month later...
On 28/08/2021 at 22:50, Chasemuseum said:

Although I am not familiar with the A.C. 25 Scheinwerfer. From the name it can be taken as a 25cm search light. From the internals of the excavated example, it is clearly a limelight.  Lime lights were most efficient if using two gases (hydrogen and oxygen) being brought together to burn at a stick of calcium oxide which then glows brilliantly as a white light.

Limelight - Wikipedia

This can be used either as a spotlight/searchlight as in the theatrical application or as a signal lamp by providing a shutter mechanism to cover and uncover the lens, as with the various model of British Army limelights. The British Army models, reduced light efficiency for the sake of convenience in the field, using methylated spirits as the fuel, but still using pure oxygen which was manufactured in the field and stored in a fabric gas bag. A weight was placed on the bag in use to give a light pressure to the gas.

Cheers

Ross

(photos extracted from above photos and a photo taken from Flickr, were writing on the back identifies the equipment as an  A.C. 25 Scheinwerfer.

image.png.e74c6c636534cb05ddddd868b2f9fc18.png

image.png.7368d802b200d31a262a1acd7b1501ae.png

Hello Chaps, here is another pic of the light. From FB WW1 colorized photos.

Jim