Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Enlistment method for this soldier (G.W. Laws 35537)

Sean Kennedy

Hello. I am still not quite sure how my great-grandfather's method of joining came about. The salient facts,

- Private Laws attested (Short Service) 8th Feb 1916, aged 21 and placed in Army Reserve 

(Conscription effective: 2 March 1916) 

- Private Laws called up 29th April 1918

He was a miner I think; the hand writing is difficult to make out. So reserved occupation 1916-1917? Doing some reading here I believe this would have placed him in the Reserve's Class W, however this was only introduced in June 1916, not Feb? https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/enlisting-into-the-army/british-army-reserves-and-reservists/. And why was he even attesting before conscription as he was obviously not a patriotic volunteer and volunteering had dried up by 1916?

The best I have is that he was a Derby man who attested voluntarily under that scheme but avoided both the Derby call ups and conscription due to reserved occupation. This changed in 1918 when he got caught in the industry comb-outs during the manpower crisis. That is the best I have! 

Any theories? Maybe I'm missing something in the documents,

30971_171679-00364.jpg.fda164418a9c1e6ec72fec37c45b60ee.jpg

30971_171679-00378.jpg.939a4ded91f129d5b3e00c798104bb5a.jpg

Also I think I have his service history about right. Seems to have been drafted in 4 (Extra Reserve) West Yorks and placed at Teeside Garrison for training. If you pull up his offenses sheet he was in West Hartlepool where 4th were stationed. Idea seems to have been to join 2/West Yorks in France but got switched after two days to 9th West Riding. According to Charles Messenger's book this was how the Infantry Base Depots were operating at this stage in war, basically representing a large region of regiments and dishing out recruits as man power needs required. 

Looking through service records I have spotted this same thing happening to others. 2/West Yorkshire to 9/West Riding, and some did their training with the 4th also. A north east origin frequent also. also. Cf. Armstrong 35576, Bell 355517 etc etc. 

Edited by Sean Kennedy

Just to add, the ''are you willing to be enlisted for general service'' is either left blank are the ink has faded to oblivion!! 

20 hours ago, Sean Kennedy said:

The best I have is that he was a Derby man who attested voluntarily under that scheme but avoided both the Derby call ups and conscription due to reserved occupation. This changed in 1918 when he got caught in the industry comb-outs during the manpower crisis.

I think you are right.

His attestation form is clearly for a Derby Scheme man. Look at question 11 which refers to the Royal Warrant of 20th Oct 1915. The card number in the top right corner is also a give away. Finally, conscripts did not take the Oath.

Having missed the 12th Dec 1915 deadline and knowing conscription was coming, he attested under the scheme after it reopened on 10 Jan 1916 and closed again on 2 March.

His occupation almost certainly was the cause of his deferral but after the German offensive of 21 March 1918 and the subsequent man power shortage in the British Army, his time came. 

derby.JPG

2 hours ago, Alan24 said:

I think you are right.

His attestation form is clearly for a Derby Scheme man. Look at question 11 which refers to the Royal Warrant of 20th Oct 1915. The card number in the top right corner is also a give away. Finally, conscripts did not take the Oath.

Having missed the 12th Dec 1915 deadline and knowing conscription was coming, he attested under the scheme after it reopened on 10 Jan 1916 and closed again on 2 March.

His occupation almost certainly was the cause of his deferral but after the German offensive of 21 March 1918 and the subsequent man power shortage in the British Army, his time came. 

derby.JPG

Thank you so much.