Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Emplacement of artillery on Walker's Ridge/Russell's Top

Jeff Pickerd

Following on from information contained within the Turkish Mia Mia's topic with regard to the 1st NZFA Battery, the artillery emplaced upon Walker’s Ridge and Russell’s Top is known, those being the four BL 10 pounder Mountain guns of the 26th (Jacob’s) Battery, and the four QF 18 pounder Field Guns of the 1st New Zealand Artillery Battery, NZFA Brigade, under the command of Major Clyde McGilp. Both of these gun emplacements are identified on several maps and detailed within unit war diaries, plus other published forms. These two artillery units will be discussed in future posts.

The only other artillery piece identified on Walker’s Ridge is what is termed, the NZ 6” Howitzer. The position of this gun is also clearly identified from several maps, but on those there is no indication as to its NZ artillery unit, the only clues would seem to be that it was one of the two Howitzers landed at Anzac in May, i.e. on the 15-5-1915 the MEF Headquarters war diary records on this date: “HQRA 2 x 6” Howitzers to be sent to Gaba Tepe with 300 rounds of ammunition.” These guns were presumably the two old 6-inch howitzers of the Royal Malta Artillery that are mentioned by C.E.W. Bean, in the official history, Vol II, Chapter III, page 80. Cannot remember from which diary I found this, but the date falls in line with the howitzer arriving: “Sunday 16-5-15, 9pm – 6”How, 1 WO R.G.A. and 13 OR’s arrived.” My search through a number of war diaries to find an arrival date, and any other details of the gun, or its compliment, has to date drawn a blank so far, the search goes on  .

The other clues would arise from Chris Roberts and Paul Stevens book, The Artillery at Anzac. Appendix 7, page 299  – New Zealand Field Artillery Brigade at Anzac (May-July 1915) “1 x 6-inch Howitzer (arrived 16th May)”, and page 300, Appendix 7 – 2nd NZFA Brigade, 1 x 6-inch Howitzer. Map 12 from the book also shows the gun positioned on Walker’s Ridge, with its arc of fire ranging from Battleship Hill to Aghyl Dere in the North, (figure 11. NZ 6” howitzer).

The progression of the guns emplacement can be followed from accounts found from the 3rd LH Bde and 8th LH Regt, as follows:

On the 2nd June Lt Gerald M. Gibson, 1st LH Bde Train, 5th Company AASC (Automobile Corps), noted in his diary on this day: - “A 6-inch Howitzer pit is being dug in Walker’s Ridge. When they start operations they hope to knock hell into the Turks at Quinn’s Post.”                                                              Sapper Chas Jamieson, 3rd Signal Troop: “Still making dug-outs for Head Q. Preparations are being made for bringing a 6 inch Howitzer to top of Walkers Ridge. Methinks that it will tickle the Turks some.”

5/6/15 - Sapper Chas Jamieson: “Continuing with dug-outs for HQ. The gun expected to be got up tonight (perhaps).”

7/6/15 - The NZ 6howitzer was put into position just south of 3rd LH Bde HQ on Walker’s Ridge. Sapper Chas Jamieson: “Things very quiet all day. 6-inch howitzer almost to top of hill. (later) gun in place.”              

The Photographic collection of Signaler James Pinkerton Campbell, No. 193 ‘A’ troop, ‘B’ Sqdn, has four photographs of the 6 inch howitzer being brought up along the Mule Cart Road, Walker’s Ridge.

8/6/15 - 3rd Light Horse Brigade War Diary – “Howitzer at Brigade Headquarters from new position shelled Turk gun moving behind T Trenches sector.”

11/6/15 – Cpl James Pickett No. 232, ‘B’ Sqdn - “There is a 6 inch Howitzer not far from here and it kicks up a deuce of a row.” Sapper Chas Jamieson: “Howitzer got firing today. Firing towards Quinn’s Post so couldn’t see the effect.”

16/6/15 – 3rd LH Bde war diary lists the following – “No. 4 Section – 4 Mountain guns, 7 Machine Guns, 1 Howitzer.” It is noticed that the diary makes no mention of the 4 X 18 pounders of the 1st NZFA Battery on Russell’s Top.

Any assistance with any further details of 6 inch Howitzer would be greatly appreciated.       

Jeff

8th LH bringing up six inch howitzer.jpg

Bringing up six inch howitzer.jpg

Bringing up the six inch howitzer, No. 2.jpg

Thank you, Jeff.

I am also looking for details about this gun, especially its activities on 13 August. It may well be the gun that shelled the HQ of 57th Regt on the eastern slopes of Mortar Ridge on 13 August, killing CO Lt.-Col. Huseyin Avni.

Edited by emrezmen

Thanks Emre,

From what I can tell, it seems that the 6-inch howitzer was not emplaced on Walker’s Ridge just prior to the 7th August. The survivors’ of the charge at The Nek from the 8th LH Regt were put into the 6-inch gun pit to rest and regroup, as can be seen in the photograph. It would appear that it was moved to an unknown gun emplacement for the August campaign, as to just where that was I have no idea at this time, but hopefully more information may be forthcoming to give you answer to your question. The map is dated 1st August and from what I can tell, is last such map of the artillery up on Walker’s Ridge/Russell’s Top before the charge of the 7th August. Map 30 from the book The Artillery at Anzac dose show the 6-inch howitzer in place on Walker’s Ridge in September. It is still unclear as to whether it was returned to Walker's Ridge, or just placed in a new gun pit, for it was definitely not in the original pit on the 7th.

Survivors of charge at the Nek in old gun emplacement Walker's Ridge, 7-8-1915.jpg

NZ Hq Russell's Top 1.jpg

Edited by Jeff Pickerd
Edited to correct information in relation to the howitzer on Walker's Ridge after the 7th August.

Thank you Michael for putting up the links to the two photos,

The first photograph will be of either of the two 6-inch howitzers landed in May or the gun that landed later. The second photo you have posted is indeed of the 6-inch howitzer being taken up Walker's Ridge, the fourth photo taken by J.P. Campbell that I mentioned.

Jeff

From the AWM an earlier sketch map showing the 6-inch howitzer gun position on Walker's Ridge on the 30th June.

Russell's Top.jpg

Hi Jeff

Apologies if you have already seen this, but within the New Zealand Divisional Artillery Narrative it states "A single 6 inch howitzer which was hauled up on to Walker's Ridge and manned by RGA was the only other gun belonging to the New Zealand Artillery during the first three months."

If this is the case and the gun was manned by the RGA, then it might explain why no NZ unit can be found. I'll check the RGA diaries I have to see if there is any mention of a detachment etc., the other 6" was on the beach at Ari Brunu and apparently remained there throughout. 

This quote is from the CRA (GHQ) War diary for 2nd July, "I went round the New Zealanders trenches (4th & 3rd sections) & also the gun emplacements. A 6" howitzer in action near the headquarters 4th section proved conclusively the wonderful resource & adaptability of the New Zealand & Australian gunner. The steep gradients & state of the hill road up to this site look impossible & only most determined & powerful men could have dragged their heavy piece up. Some of the 18 pounder guns of the Australian New Zealand AC have also been hauled up into positions such as field guns can never have attempted to occupy before in any campaign." The sketch plan below appears to be Appendix III of the same day but it doesn't seem to be dated as such. [For reference my photograph of War Diary at NA, Kew.]

I hope this helps.

Alan

940260442_AustandNZGunPositions.jpg.c4aefb73571356e6d399e5c1275ce773.jpg

Many thanks Alan, you have done it again. This is brilliant, and again down a path I had not thought of, but should have, as your information fits in with what I had already found. My reference to C.E.W. Bean’s comments about the arrival of the two 6-inch Maltese howitzers in the official history that corresponded with the report of, “Sunday 16-5-15, 9pm – 6”How, 1 WO R.G.A. and 13 OR’s arrived”, should have alerted me to gun being manned by the men of the RGA. The references to the howitzer being a New Zealand manned gun had led me to search for a NZ reference. The important aspect of your post is the quote is from the CRA (GHQ)        War diary for 2nd July, aligns perfectly with Campbell’s photographs. Page 96 of The Artillery at Anzac should have also alerted me to the two Maltese BL 6-inch 30cwt howitzers landed on the 16th May.

For Emre, the more I have looked at the available maps of the gun emplacement on Walker’s Ridge, on the different dates, the more confused I find myself becoming. It is now certain that the gun remained on Walker’s Ridge during August, and was most definitely there on the 13th. What I failed to recognise from Chris Roberts and Paul Stevens map No.30 for September, was that they had now described the howitzer as “NZ&A Division 6-inch howitzer”. It is possible that the photograph of the 8th LH survivors was not the 6-inch howitzer gun pit, although described as such, and appears to be such, was instead the disused pit of one of the Indian Mountain Battery guns, judging by such a position on the 1/8/15 map.

Jeff

From the Turkish Mia Mia post a great deal has been learned of the 1st NZFA Battery gun pits on Russell’s Top. My thanks go out to Frev, Alan Two and Chris Roberts for such able and valuable assistance to the original query as to the batteries positioning. For those interested the link to Major McGilp’s diary put forward by Frev is as follows:

https://ndhadeliver.natlib.govt.nz/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_pid=IE3279663&dps_custom_att_1=emu

The following is to bring the pertinent information outlined in the above topic to this thread to outline what is known the NZFA guns, plus information drawn from the AWM, 1st NZFA Brigade war diary, Major McGilp’s diary, and previously mentioned sources.

On the 30th April three guns of the 1st NZFA Battery, under the command of Major Frank Symon’s, were landed at Anzac, the fourth gun being landed on the 1st May. The battery was deployed on North Beach at the foot of Walker’s Ridge, going into action on the evening of 2nd May, firing on Baby 700 in support of the NZ&A Division attack to capture the upper reaches of the Second Ridge and Baby 700. This position proved to be inferior with a restricted field of fire and the battery was put into reserve and held there until a suitable position could be found. The War Dairy of the Headquarters New Zealand Mounted Rifles Brigade for May records that the battery moved up into position on Russell’s Top on the night of 16th May, beginning at 8.30 pm, with two guns being emplaced later during the night, page 6. By the 17th all four guns were in position under the command of Major Frank Symon.  On the 20th July, Major Clyde McGilp took over command, vice Major Frank Symon, promoted to Lt Col, CO 1st NZFA Brigade.  The four QF 16 pounders were put into camouflaged gun pits along the western end of Russell’s Top with their fire ranging from Quinn’s Post, across German Officer’ Trench, out to Lone Pine. 

It would appear that No. 1 (A) & 2 (B) guns were predominately ranged upon Johnstone’s Jolly/Lone Pine, guns 3 (C) & 4 (D) covering the East from Quinn’s Post to German Officers’ Trench, all guns therefore facing South.

The Australian Official History Volume II, page 75, Map No. 3, “Positions of the Anzac Artillery at the end of May, 1915” gave the clue to the actual position of the four gun sites along Russell’s Top, the Sevki Pasa maps, and in particular the map 17 Anzac confirmed that those positions were correct. The NZ Field Company Engineers 1st August (part two) also shows the gun pits as the other two maps depict, except there is a fifth pit shown on this sketch, it does roughly conform with the square with four crosses marked inside shown on the Sevki Pasa map, but whether it is a fifth gun pit, not previously mentioned in any of the diaries, or not, I am unable to say.

Jeff

NZ Hq Russell's Top 2.jpg

22 hours ago, Jeff Pickerd said:

For Emre, the more I have looked at the available maps of the gun emplacement on Walker’s Ridge, on the different dates, the more confused I find myself becoming. It is now certain that the gun remained on Walker’s Ridge during August, and was most definitely there on the 13th. What I failed to recognise from Chris Roberts and Paul Stevens map No.30 for September, was that they had now described the howitzer as “NZ&A Division 6-inch howitzer”. It is possible that the photograph of the 8th LH survivors was not the 6-inch howitzer gun pit, although described as such, and appears to be such, was instead the disused pit of one of the Indian Mountain Battery guns, judging by such a position on the 1/8/15 map.

Many thanks. At least we know the gun was not somewhere up north or any other place on that day.

Edited by emrezmen