Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

PCR tests

Harveyfletch

Good evening

im hoping to visit the Somme in early October with a group of Pals . I believe we will be required to produce a negative PCR test taken 72 hours before we return to the UK . Do any forum Pals know any pharmacists that offer this service in either Albert or  Bapaume 

Hopefully France may be on the Green list by October 😳

Regards Dom

Do you need the full PCR test? I was told by some English who left France today that the AntiGen Test, certified by a pharmacist, was sufficient ? AntiGen = LateralFlow. They got their results the day before yesterday and within an hour of the test. They have not rung me to say they are stuck at a port....

charlie

15 minutes ago, Harveyfletch said:

Good evening

im hoping to visit the Somme in early October with a group of Pals . I believe we will be required to produce a negative PCR test taken 72 hours before we return to the UK . Do any forum Pals know any pharmacists that offer this service in either Albert or  Bapaume 

Regards Dom

I'd say that things will change between now and October.

Better wait till nearer your trip, to find out what to do.

Tom.

1 hour ago, Harveyfletch said:

Good evening

Regards Dom

Coming at it from a different angle, and thinking of you going to France, have you tested positive for COVID in the past few months? 

You should not take a PCR test until, ideally, 90 days have elapsed since first testing positive.

If you have, and you have your test and trace id, you can generate an isolation note. It may be the case this is accepted in France as the equivalent of a "certificate of recovery" as exists in the EU, which I believe exempts the bearer from taking a test prior to entering the participating European country.

Charlie and Tom . Thanks for your replies. Hope your friends got back home ok and are not stuck on the other side of the Channel. The simpler the requirements, the better as far as I'm concerned Tom

Thanks for the advice Kieth . I've not had a Covid up to yet , touch wood . My wife and I go away next month . She works for the NHS and has a PCR test every week , those don't count if you are going abroad 😳

Hi

If you want to get a PCR test then, in Albert, the Laboratoire just off of the main square. It will cost €50.00 and you SHOULD receive the results in 24 hours.

If you go for the AntiGen / Lateral Flow test then the pharmacy at Combles does them (Also the pharmacy at Mailley-Mailly) They cost between €25-30 per test. You will get the result from the pharmacy in about 20 minutes. Also it will be emailed to you in the same time as a pdf file, makes it easier to upload. A number of people have said that the lateral flow test is not applicable, this is not correct.  I have just travelled to the UK on a lateral flow as have a number of our guests, all without any problems, all of the tests were carried out at Combles.

Do make sure that you book your test as soon as possible after arriving. It is most unlikely that they will do a 'walk in' test.

Even if France is put on the Green List it does look as though these tests will still be needed. Below is the current information on the gov.uk website.

If you get a problem you can contact me at the website link in my signature.

Kind regards

John

Green list rules

What you have to do if you travel to England from a country or territory on the green list. You must only have been in or travelled through a green list country or the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man in the previous 10 days.

You must follow these rules even if you have been fully vaccinated.

You can read separate guidance on what you need to do if you are travelling abroad from England.

Before travel to England

Before you travel to England you must:

take a COVID-19 test – you must take the test in the 3 days before you travel to England

book and pay for a day 2 COVID-19 test – to be taken after arrival in England

complete a passenger locator form

26 minutes ago, Frajohn said:

I have just travelled to the UK on a lateral flow as have a number of our guests, all without any problems,

comforting

Thanks John . Combes it is . We will pop round and thank you in person whilst we are over if that's ok . I will post our experience on the forum when we return . Thanks for everyone for taking the time to reply .

Now to start a new topic " should I smuggle Yorkshire teabags into France" ?

regards Dom

8 hours ago, Harveyfletch said:

Combes it is

I can also confirm the Combles connection as per Frajohn.  I had my lateral flow test there when I was last here back in july.  Result within 20 minutes, also emailed to me and no problems returning to the UK.  I'm currently on the Somme again and will book a test about a week before.  I did this last time and it appeared that their diary was empty.  In fact they asked if I wanted a test that day.  I didn't as it was too fwr before my return trip.

Thanks for the reply Don Regiano . Looks like the first stop will be Combles pharmacy, then supermarket for beer . How things have changed

Regards Dom

On 24/08/2021 at 18:36, Harveyfletch said:

Thanks for the reply Don Regiano . Looks like the first stop will be Combles pharmacy, then supermarket for beer . How things have changed

Regards Dom

Dom.  I have just booked my lateral flow test at the pharmacy in Combles.  Again, they didn't seem to have hardly any bookings for the date(s) I wanted.

Regards.  Reg.

On 30/08/2021 at 12:08, Don Regiano said:

Dom.  I have just booked my lateral flow test at the pharmacy in Combles.  Again, they didn't seem to have hardly any bookings for the date(s) I wanted.

Regards.  Reg.

don't suppose you have the website or contact details to book a test do you we are only in France for 4 days so I don't want to spend much time trying to find a testing site

2 minutes ago, malcolmwaters said:

don't suppose you have the website or contact details to book a test do you we are only in France for 4 days so I don't want to spend much time trying to find a testing site

Try this

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/France-travel-How-do-foreign-visitors-get-Covid-test-to-return-home

We are visiting UK from Wednesday and had our antigen test at our local pharmacy this morning. Slightly uncomfortable but brief and, most important, negative.

Cheers Martin B

1 hour ago, malcolmwaters said:

This appears to be their website:

https://www.pharmaciedecombles.fr/

It is not far from me so I just drive round and book a rendezvous for the test.  Never a problem.

Reg

Sorry for the late reply Reg . All members of our party had a chat the other day and we decided as the schools are going back and the COVID cases will probably rise , with all the uncertainty we will postpone until a later date .

thanks for everyone’s input

regards Dom

• 2 weeks later...

New rules from October 4th by the looks of it. As far as I can tell there will be no need to have a PCR test before returning to the UK. And  from the end of October, the day 2 test after return will be a lateral flow test instead of the PCR. Should make things a bit simpler....  LINK

Edited by slick63

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

No pre departure test, the online stuff yesterday was a bit tricky but we sailed through all the checks. Was expecting some problems or the rubber gloves at the very least. On the train now.