Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Edward Pratt, 3rd & 9th Devonshire Regiment and ASC

Winson Saw

I am looking for any picture of Captain Edward Pratt of 3rd Battalion Devonshire Regiment And Royal Army Service Corps 'Syren' Force in 1919

Son Of Edward Haslope Pratt & Mary Gertrude Burton of Priory, Shrewsbury.Edward Haslope Pratt married 1stly,Annie ?.Served in Malayan and Straits Settlements Civil Service.Took up an appointment as district judge,magistrate in Penang.Retired in 1929.He was known as Captain Pratt in Malaya.He returned to Malaya after his retirement in 1930 and joined the lawyer firm in Kuala Lumpur.He went back to England on June 1931.He married Dorothy Eleanor Clow,daughter of Sir George James Clow in 1911. .They lived at The Haven,Torpoint in 1911.She died in 1962 Douglas,Isle Of Man.

He served as Cadet No.7 Battalion from April-July 1916.Served as 2nd Lieutenant in 3rd Devonshire Regiment from July-September 1916.And 9th Devonshire Regiment  from September-December 1916.Involved in Battle Of Somme.Wounded and admitted to Queen's Alexandra's Hospital from 5th-9th December 1916.

Joined Royal Army Service Corps as Captain in June 1917.Served in Syren Force, Murmansk Front from 1918-1919.

Please advice where can I find any picture of him.I wouldn't mind it can be found in any book or etc.

Thanks.

8a4bacc86da240cdbc6f05d3e0499700-0001.jpg

222013798_362695268698063_2609092988646929632_n.jpg

• Michelle Young changed the title to Captain Edward Pratt, 3rd Devonshire Regiment and ASC
  • Admin

I've split this off into a new topic to hopefully gain more attention and answers. 

• Michelle Young changed the title to Captain Edward Pratt, 3rd & 9th Devonshire Regiment and ASC

I expect that you have seen this

image.png.7dbb2faa1ba9038a555637086f93b04f.png

Homeward Mail from India, China and the East 11 September 1911

in FMP

A it says quietly probably no photos in press

George

You can follow him in the Blue Book of the Straits Settlements, while he was a member of the Civil Service . There are some online versions

1912, 1917, 1919, 1922, 1924, 1925, 1926, 1929,1930, 1931, 1932, 1936, 1937,1938 Google Books. These may not give you  much additional information, other than his salary.

In general terms, if you can establish where he went to school, or which University he attended  (and I think at this period he would have attended University) that is one avenue where there might be a photograph available. Also when he died there might be an obituary in a local paper, possibly with a photograph

I would check out the online newspapers on Findmypast/ British Newspaper Archive (same database) both pay websites to see if there is any mention of him, perhaps when he was appointed as a Civil Servant in Malaya, or when he died, and I would also try to look at The Times ( of London) online database if you can get access, as I suspect The Times may  possibly have reported successful applicants for the Colonial Civil Service ( appointment to  which was keenly sought) and may have included details such as School/University.

It would be worthwhile checking out whether there are any records at The National Archives, an Officers WW1 file, or any records from the Colonial Office re his appointment etc.

Also I would be interested to know what publication the photograph/scan above is taken.

Maureen

2 hours ago, MaureenE said:

Also I would be interested to know what publication the photograph/scan above is taken.

If it is mine Maureen it is within FMP newspapers

George

• 1 month later...

Hello Maureen and George Rayner,

Thanks for your information.I have searched on all the source that you have mentioned.But there's still no any photos of him can be found.

I have received more information about his appointments in reserve battalions and volunteer.Here it is.

So can you help me try to find any photo of him with these attachments?.

p irish regiment 2.jpg

p irish regiment 4.png

p irish regiment.png

p shorpshire light infantry.png

p shropshire light infantry 3.png

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

p4.jpg

14 hours ago, Winson Saw said:

Hello Maureen and George Rayner,

Thanks for your information.I have searched on all the source that you have mentioned.But there's still no any photos of him can be found.

Does that mean you have contacted his school and university as  I suggested in my previous post? You now have the  information as to what school and university he attended.

Concerning your original post, I would be interested to know what book the first scan comes from.

Maureen

Hello Maureen,

The first scan is taken from Malayan Civil List 1925.He attended Shrewsbury School and Oxford.But I don't know whether it's Oxford University or College.

He didn't have any children.I have found his obituary in Isle Of Man newspaper online with no any photo of him.He was cremated in 1948.

A reply from Archivist in Shrewsbury School - 

Dear Winson,

Thank you for your enquiry about Capt. Pratt. I am afraid we do not have any photographs of him at school. At that period photos are less common than later. I am sorry not to be able to help.

With best wishes,

Robin

Dr Robin Brooke-Smith

Taylor Librarian and Archivist

Shrewsbury School

I think any potential information at Oxford University would be held by a particular College.

Perhaps someone else on GWF can give you some advice about how to  find out which College Pratt attended.

If not, perhaps this link may be able to tell you which College he was at https://www.ox.ac.uk/students/graduation/verification/  .    If  information is provided you could then contact the relevant College https://www.ox.ac.uk/about/colleges.  

Thanks for advising regarding the Malayan Civil List

Maureen

AN interesting side note-he appears in the 1881 Census as an 8 year old i.e. born 1873 approx. His attestation claims 1875?

and baptised September 1st 1872.

George

Edited by George Rayner

I wonder if there is a muddle with two families?

Edward Haslope and Mary Gertrude have a son Edward Lancelot Knight Pratt-gazette for Civil Service 1897. Census, baptism etc clearly gives birth as 1872.

Your Edward Pratt consistently appears as 1875

George

I suspect that he never actually graduated from Oxford

A list of Oxford Graduates shows his father at Pembroke College, and his brother Rev George at St Johns College. But no mention of him on the list

In addition he never appears to use BA (or MA) after his name

Another point is that he went straight from arriving back from Malaya to Dublin to join an Irish Regt. He was given a reference by a Dublin man he had known for 4 years

Hello Corisande,

Thanks for your information.It's new to me.Are there any picture of him in the Royal Irish Regiment?.He was stationed at Richmond Barracks,Dublin.Attached is the list of his appointments in 3rd Reserve Battalion of The Royal Irish Regiment from 1st Jan-April 1916.He seems very strange man without any photographs can be found.

p irish regiment 4.png

p irish regiment.png

Hello George Rayner,

Edward Lancelot is a different person.You had the correct names of his parents.He seems very strange man and it's very difficult to come across any picture of him even in Malaya archives.

33 minutes ago, Winson Saw said:

Hello George Rayner,

Edward Lancelot is a different person.You had the correct names of his parents.He seems very strange man and it's very difficult to come across any picture of him even in Malaya archives.

You have clearly got a large number of records for this man but...

1812592262_GBPRS_SHROP_P186-A-2-2_220862(1).jpg.fedcdf199b295fffd23e7cd8b1ab04ba.jpg

this baptismal record clearly shows Edward Lancelot Knight Pratt, son of Edward Haslope and Mary Gertrude Pratt as being baptised on September 1st 1872. I believe this is the man you are talking about

George

And this is a Gazette for him in 1889

GBOR_LONDON-GAZETTE_1889_09-13_25974_0004.jpg.78da664e7d978438d8bf3ed8710d416d.jpg

Both these from Find My Past

George

Edward H Pratt was in England as a Postmaster in the 1871 and 1881 Census in Shropshire.

Mary Gertrude in Jamaica?

George

No I am trying to find a way to track him...but I am confused about his family, parents and story which makes it difficult. Can you show where it says 'Jamaica' please?

George

12 minutes ago, George Rayner said:

Can you show where it says 'Jamaica' please?

George

It is on front page of his 1916 short service attestation. Does not mean it is right, but it is what he said when he enlisted in Dublin. Another of his papers says "British born"

Thanks Corisande just spotted it. 

That also gives a service number 24887 and a different one crossed through which I can't decipher. Also Shropshire Light Infantry and 'Officer Cadet'?

George