Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Artists Rifles in Aug-Oct 1915

FrancesH

I have a private in the Artists Rifles OTC who joined up in August 1915 and was injured by shrapnel in October 1915, which I assume must have happened at Loos. Can anyone tell me if they know anything about part of the Artists Rifles OTC serving at Loos? If not does anyone know whereabouts they were? This individual joined up on August 1915 and was in France by the end of the month, incidentally -- so was training taking place overseas?

Many thanks for any help you can give. 

20 minutes ago, FrancesH said:

I have a private in the Artists Rifles OTC who joined up in August 1915 and was injured by shrapnel in October 1915, which I assume must have happened at Loos. Can anyone tell me if they know anything about part of the Artists Rifles OTC serving at Loos? If not does anyone know whereabouts they were? This individual joined up on August 1915 and was in France by the end of the month, incidentally -- so was training taking place overseas?

Many thanks for any help you can give. 

Who is the man in question ?

Craig

Hi Craig

He was Lt Alan Dunbar Leslie, who subsequently served with the Royal Lancaster Regiment after commissioning. I have got his service record but (presumably following some weeding) I can't clarify exactly what happened in his Artists Rifles period. 

It looks, from the badly written diary, that the men were being placed in to instruction classes and moved around various assignments.

Craig

As he was injured by shrapnel that could perfectly well have happened without him actually being at Loos, couldn't it? Just a random shelling? Do you know from the diary whereabouts they were?

Hi Michel, thank you so much! I tried to find the Artists Rifles on the LLT earlier today but could not do so. I didn't realise they were listed under 'London Regiment'. Sigh. Oh well, useful information gained for the future. Thank you again.