Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MY GREAT GRANDFATHER WORKED AS A MERCHANT SEAMAN IN MALTA IN THE 1940S..CAN I PLS HAVE MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS BEAUTIFUL UNIFORM HE IS WEARING.

Joseph Bonavia

My great grandfather wearing this  uniform.He worked as a Merchant SEAMAN for the Maltese Government in the 1940s. Can someone pls tell me any more information about this Uniform.inbound6293640458719160700.jpg.e0369521024fa819f54d6ba62e532640.jpgs uniform.

Hi as this is a WW1 forum

image.png.65eb2e72343577edf799c04f70983ac2.png

your request is outside the remit

try WW2Talk

regards

Jon

35 minutes ago, Joseph Bonavia said:

My great grandfather wearing this  uniform.He worked as a Merchant SEAMAN for the Maltese Government in the 1940s. Can someone pls tell me any more information about this Uniform.s uniform.

The four rings and peak braid indicate that he’s a Ship’s Master (Captain), but I don’t recognise the Shipping Line badge on his cap.  Someone like @MerchantOldSalt will be able to advise.

NB.  One aspect that puzzles me is that he appears to have an imperial crown on his cap badge, whereas shipping lines usually didn’t/don’t because they were in commercial, not crown service (albeit there are seemingly some exceptions).

There’s an excellent archive of badges here: https://archive.org/details/merchant-navy-cap-badges-gallery/A.B.Transatlantic.jpg

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin

I'm afraid this is off topic, please continue via private messages. Will lock this now.

• Michelle Young locked this topic