Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Assistant Director of Transport MEF.

michaeldr

Brigadier-General Fred W. G. Koe was Director of Supplies and Transport and located at Mudros, however both Young and Beadon have him dealing personally with the Helles beachhead.

Nevertheless, he must have had an assistant and I understand that an inspection of transport units was carried out at Helles in late September 1915 by an officer described as the Assistant Director of Transport MEF.

Can anyone put a name to this officer?

Edit: correction to date of inspection having seen original doc. it should be August (not September as given above)

Edited by michaeldr

WarDiaries on Ancestry may help eg WO95 4270 ?

Deputy Director Supplies and Transport (1915 Feb - 1916 Feb).

Deputy Director Supplies and Transport (Imbros) (1915 Sept - 1916 Jan).

Deputy Assistant Director Supplies (Mudros) (1915 June - Sept)

Here's a taster from Dep Dir Suppllies and Transport (courtesy Ancestry and Nat Archives) but I always get confused by Directors, Assistants, Deputy Assistants etc.

102560752_GWFGallipoliDSTWarDiaryExtract.JPG.3accfb7c72b24a01687072627c7874f3.JPG

and of course "Supplies and Transport" may differ from Transport

See also the page preceeding, re inspections Helles by DDST DADT 18/9/15. This is a very detailed diary.

WO95 4269 has Director Supplies and Transport

Edited by charlie962

Charlie,

Thank you, that has been most helpful and I have now seen the original inspection report (previously only seen quote)

This is the signature at the end

224877032_SignatureInspectingOfficer.jpg.2c0c6a8aec1024eba43a8e59732f630d.jpg

EDIT to add; it appears from another document that the above signature could be that of Lt-Col O. Striedinger

EDIT No.2; Striedinger confirmed as ADT in H W Nevinson's book 'The Dardanelles Campaign'

Thanks again for your help here Charlie

regards

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

From the: Deputy Director Supplies & Transport, General Headquarters, Imbros, GHQ, War Diary, September 1915, page 40 (ancestry, call no. WO95 4270). 

Thanks to Charlie962 for identifying this war diary, as it has provided additional information relating to the supplies from Imbros to Anzac.   Most helpful in my research into the activities of the Beach Parties and the work they performed.  

ADT.JPG.98a115878ae2beb8188abb0e341fdf10.JPG

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have a photograph of Lt-Col Oscar Striedinger?

There are a couple of potentials in this album here https://www.omnia.ie/index.php?navigation_function=2&navigation_item=4a8a42728b5a998db62b979bfeac6ae2&repid=2

However, yours truly is technically challenged and so far has not been able to grab one.

After Gallipoli he served in Salonika and then with the army of occupation in Istanbul

I believe that his medals were sold by Eugene Ursual sometime in the 1990s. Are you in possession of them? As for a photo, have you asked the RLC Museum?

All the best,

Gary

16 hours ago, Waggoner said:

Are you in possession of them? As for a photo, have you asked the RLC Museum?

Charlie and Gary; many thanks for your in-put here

No, I'm not  a medal collector, though I am proud to hold those of my two grandfathers; one in the  RND and one in the ASC. My interest in this officer springs from an inspection tour which he did at Helles, which involved some units that I am working on.

Thanks for the tip re the RLC; email now on its way to them

best regards

Michael

Well done the RLC Museum for their v. prompt attention to my enquiry: 

see below from Asst. Archivist.

“Unfortunately, the RLC Museum Archive and Research Department is currently closed but we hope to re-open in a few months’ time. Due to the move of the museum to Winchester and COVID-19 restrictions we have chosen to keep the Archives closed until they are in a better position to re-open to the public. We are also currently updating our research policy and charges and hope to publish these soon too. Please keep an eye on our website page for updates - https://www.royallogisticcorps.co.uk/museum/archives/.”

Alas, no pic. of Lt-Col Striedinger just yet

There's a 1926 photographic portrait of him in the National Portrait Gallery   https://www.npg.org.uk/ - I can't work out from the Gallery COVID notice whether or not they are able to supply reproductions at present, but it might be worth asking, if a non-uniformed portrait will suffice.