Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Symbol on war map

Arne Vandendriessche

hey,

Does anyone know what this attached sign means?
It's an army vehicle with a 40 when I saw on the map where I saw it much the same but with a different number.

thanks,

Arne

Schermafbeelding 2021-08-14 220101.png

Arne

Apologies for the quality of this picture, my camera phone is not focusing properly.

From the July 1917 War Diary of 18 Corps A&QMG (courtesy TNA WO 95/954/2 p 39/95). Administrative Instructions showing locations where lorry standings had been built and where others were under construction. It shows the number of lorries that can be held at each position. I would imagine that the 40 on your map represents the number of lorries that can be held at that location.

Brian

001.JPG

• Admin

As above here a snip from a map of the Belgium coast showing such a symbol (with 129 in this example) and the corresponding key.

Regards

Russ

Lorry Park.JPG

Interesting explanation, every day a school day

I did Google forty lorry's  and all I could come up with was

Si Senor, Derdago, Forte Lorez Inaro.
Demainte Lorez Demis Trux,
Foolacoos Andens Andux.

Ray

31 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

Interesting explanation, every day a school day

I did Google forty lorry's  and all I could come up with was

Si Senor, Derdago, Forte Lorez Inaro.
Demainte Lorez Demis Trux,
Foolacoos Andens Andux.

Ray

You are allowed to use Google Translate.

17 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

Arne

Excuses voor de kwaliteit van deze foto, mijn cameratelefoon stelt niet goed scherp.

Uit het oorlogsdagboek van het 18e korps A&QMG van juli 1917 (met dank aan TNA WO 95/954/2 p 39/95). Administratieve instructies met locaties waar vrachtwagenopstanden waren gebouwd en waar andere in aanbouw waren. Het toont het aantal vrachtwagens dat op elke positie kan worden gehouden. Ik kan me voorstellen dat de 40 op je kaart staat voor het aantal vrachtwagens dat op die locatie kan worden gehouden.

Brian

Do you have more of those same documents?
From the trolley standings?
I saw that sign where my grandmother's farm was. I talked about that in a post from a while ago:

Do you think you can find more information abaout that farm with the Lorystand that was there?

Arne

Arne

I only have 18 Corps A&QMG from June to August 1917 and I could not find anything else relating to Lorry Parks. I also have the WD of the Chief Engineer 18 Corps but no mention of working on Lorry Parks over the same period.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101464903 This NLS map dated June 1917 shows the locations in A 20, A 28, G 3 and G 1 also A 26 and A 23 north and east of Poperinghe. 

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info