Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps

Horizons

I am writing about a relative of mine, Lucy Alice Shaw, who was born in Retford in 1895.

I have come across a record of an award for a British War Medal, for someone bearing her name.

Unfortunately, I do not know whether this is the same Lucy Alice Shaw, as my relative.  It is not cross-linked with any other information, such as a medal card or an enrolment form and, it is my understanding, that a lot of the enrolment forms were lost during an air raid in the Second World War.

With this in mind, I have attached another picture, this time of a postcard, which my relative, sent from 'somewhere in France' to her mother and father in Retford.  It reads, 'Best love to all, Lucy, 10th March 1918, France.  The fourth girl from me is in the same office as I am.  All these girls sleep in the same hut as I do''.  (My relative, Lucy, is left-most in the picture).

It struck me that, if someone else happened to recognise their own grandmother in the postcard  - and was willing to tell me their name - or at least confirm that they had once been in the Queen Mary Auxiliary Army Corps - then, at least I would know that my relative had served in this regiment in the First World War.

Alternatively, would someone recognise the clothing as that worn by members of the Queen Mary Auxiliary Army Corps?

Hoping I might hear from you.

Horizons

Possibly Lucy's bowl record in France.jpg

Postcard from Lucy Alice Shaw .jpg

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. The photo looks like the girls are in their (? Army issue) pyjamas.

Welcome to the forum.

It's a pity Lucy's service record hasn't survived. What you have shown is the medal roll. There is also a medal index card at The National Archives which can be downloaded for free at present.  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6090730

The medal roll and index card show that Lucy was a Worker [the lowest rank, eqivalent to Private in the army] in Q.M.A.A.C. Her number was 12067 and she served abroad from 26th November 1917 until 3rd July 1919, well after the end of the war.

As to whether this Lucy is your relation, I think she is. Her age is right, and a check of Freebmd shows only 2 other Lucy Alice Shaws born in England before the war, one in 1864 and one in 1904. https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Regards,

Alf McM

6 hours ago, alf mcm said:

I would just like to thank Alf McM very much for all of his very kind help. It is much appreciated.

I did try to access the medal card but could not, because I am one of those people who relies on the resetting facility to remember  their password.  But  the National Archives never seems to resend to me promptly.  But, I think I am right in saying that the medal card sometimes gives the year of birth and also the hometown which is helpful.

If there were no other Lucy Alice Shaws in England  shortly before and after 1895 then I can only say I am quite surprised.  I suppose, technically, a Scottish lady would have been a possibility. 

Thank you again for your help.    It has been much appreciated.

You don't need a password at present for the National Archives. Records can be downloaded for free if you register with them. See the yellow line at the top of their page for details. The medal index card I mentioned does not include date of birth or address. It is a record of the medals Lucy was awarded i.e. the British War Medal and British Victory Medal. It also gives thev reference for the medal roll, which you have. If you don't want to download the card for free from TNA you can actually look at it on their viewer if you go down to the bottom of the page.

There have been no Lucy Alice Shaw's born in Scotland. or in Ireland.

Regards,

Alf McM

Wow, you're very much on the ball.  I can really only take my hat off to you and thank you for your help. 

It seems reasonable to think that the postcard was of young women in the QMAAC  after all.

Thank you very much for helping.

Horizons

• 2 months later...

Hi Alf MCM, i was wondering if you could help me find a relative also. her name is ivy aleatha mann, she was with the WL/WAAC/QMAAC and was stationed in kilworth ireland with the 7th OCB, she was awarded an MOBE but we as a family have no knowledge as to why she was given this huge honour. thank you in advance. 

Ivy IWM Website.jpg

10 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

There are 28 pages of service record at the National Archives that may help.

i am extremely new to this research and she is proving v difficult to find! thank you  

Hello Anna,

Welcome to the forum.

As Jim says above, Ivy's QMAAC service record is available from The National Archives. It can be downloaded for free once you register {see the yellow band on the top of the TNA page}.  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7228095

You will find her records very interesting. If there is anything you can't read or don't understand, come back and mention it here on the forum.

I can't see any mention of an O.B.E. in her records, although another person mentioned does have the O.B.E.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hello Anne,

If it is an actual clipping then you can upload it. If you had found it online it can be uploaded, but you must declare where it came from i.e. 'record courtesey of Ancestry'.

I now why Ivy was given the award. Findmypast has 2 records which show the award was for 'Length of service and devotion to duty'. 

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO162%2F65%2F0231&parentid=GBM%2FBARM%2FWOMENS%2FSERV%2F01431

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO162%2F65%2F0280&parentid=GBM%2FBARM%2FWOMENS%2FSERV%2F01786

I am trying to find out exactly when it was awarded.

Regards,

Alf McM

Anne,

Ivy was awarded the Medal of the Order of the Bitish Empire, and it was gazetted {mentioned in the London Gazette} on 23rd January. The first page describes the award. Ivy is mentioned on the bottom right of the second page.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31750/supplement/967

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31750/supplement/967

I meant to to say that you have a nice photo of Ivy. She is wearing a Women's Legion badge, and the dark lines on her shoulder straps would have been red.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hi all, this is great stuff.

By any chance, did we figure out where the group picture was taken exactly?? 

M.

The Ivy Mann photograph is part of the Women's Work collection at the Imperial War Museum.  Ref DEC6/210.  Recommended for service as a Waitress with the 7th officers Cadet Battalion Kilworth Ireland.  Joined the Women's Legion 27 September 1916, and went with the first draft to Ireland.  Transferred to the WAAC 14 November 1917 until sent to Dublin to be demobbed 15 Match 1919.