Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Famous names with 1914-18 link?

Guest HistoryProducer

Guest HistoryProducer

Dear All, I'm currently developing a 'family history' television strand related to the Great War for Channel Four and as part of my research am keen to find public figures and/or celebrities who are in some way related to the conflict... perhaps a grandfather or great uncle who served in the armed forces, a grandmother as a nurse or VAD etc. They might have survived or died in the war, and they might have served on either side. I am finding it easy to find contemporaries who lost loved ones (Asquith, Kipling, Brittain...) but not famous names in 2005 who might have done / be interested in looking back through the family tree. All suggestions most welcome. Many thanks, George

I believe that one of the Queens uncles died at the battle of Loos in 1915.

He was Capt Fergus Bowes-Lyon, the Queens mum older brother. He died whilst serving with the 8th Black Watch during the September battles, his body never being recovered/identified and he is list on the Loos memorial to the missing.

Ali

And if you are quick I believe that his, or possibly his rother's, batman is still alive - certainly was around Christmas. So you could talk to someone who knew him!

Adrian

Three spring to mind, but there are others -

1. Related to Douglas Hurd

Hurd Capt.Douglas W 1/7Middx 17.9.16 - Bronfay Farm Cem P:2 R:C G:7

2. Michael Brearley (England cricket captain)

Brearley Sgt. Joseph 9WYks 9.10.17 - Tyne Cot Mem

3. Alan Bennett

Peel Rfn. Clarence E 18KRRC 21.10.17 – Larch Wood (Railway Cutting) Cem Sp. Mem B27

Another -

Charles Chilton (Radio producer, dramatist etc)

Chilton Pte. Chas. F H 2/6N&D 21.3.17 – Arras Mem 7

... I'm currently developing a 'family history' television strand related to the Great War for Channel Four and as part of my research am keen to find public figures and/or celebrities who are in some way related to the conflict...

Must everything be viewed through the prism of 'celebrity'? Isn't television due for a new approach some decade soon?

• Admin

Richard Bransons mother was an ambulance driver.

Shirley Williams mother was Vera Brittain

Given the info above about Shirley Williams, this could be a very interesting program...

The men killed are well documented in "Testament of Youth", and a program in which a number of young officers are killed off would be a useful counterpoint to the "chinless wonders sending our boys to our deaths" viewpoint. I believe that the casualty rates of 2nd Lieutenants - the public school educated classes in many cases - were extremely high because they were the officers in the trenches leading their men "over the top". The effects this had on the upper echelons of society must still reverberate today?

Adrian(just my penn'orth!)

I seem to recall that Roger Waters of Pink Floyds Grandfather was killed in the war, I think it was discussed in a thread.

Ian Hislop recently did a 'tracing ancestors' type of programme, lots of references to relative who fought and died in WW1.....

I agree with Clive on the celebrity statement, rather tired is it not?

I bet Lizzy Bardsley from wife swap did'nt have a single relative serve during the Great War <_<

Pleased to see that someone noticed when I first posted the Roger Waters grandfather thread :D

One of my favourite bands I couldn't fail to notice. :D

I bet Lizzy Bardsley from wife swap did'nt have a single relative serve during the Great War <_<

I bet she did.

However, I would also bet that she could not name him :D

Pleased to see that someone noticed when I first posted the Roger Waters grandfather thread 

One of my favourite bands I couldn't fail to notice. :D

Shine on you crazy diamond :lol: