Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Polish Legionary Cavalry under AH command attack June 1915 Russian trenches modern film

John Gilinsky

Modern film excerpts - from an unknown source but probably modern Polish film of a little known futile cavalry attack by Polish Legion Cavalry formed under AH command WW1.  The attack was supposed to be supported by AH infantry but this did not occur.   The attack film has been divided into 2 parts each of roughly 5 minutes.  I do NOT know the source, who, when and why this particular attack was chosen to be filmed. 

The Charge of Rokitna (Polish:  Szarza pod Rokitna) June 13, 1915 in Bessarabia (Russia), interwar part of Roumania.

Part 1 infra

Part 2 infra

Thanks James and one might compare the Russian Don Cossacks attacking AH lines infantry and artillery during approximately the same time frame ( early summer 1915 after Battle of Gorlice ) in the famous Soviet era filmed classic 'Quiet Flows The Don' which is also on Youtube, viz.:

Edited by John Gilinsky

• 1 year later...
On 09/08/2021 at 22:08, John Gilinsky said:

Modern film excerpts - from an unknown source but probably modern Polish film of a little known futile cavalry attack by Polish Legion Cavalry formed under AH command WW1.  The attack was supposed to be supported by AH infantry but this did not occur.   The attack film has been divided into 2 parts each of roughly 5 minutes.  I do NOT know the source, who, when and why this particular attack was chosen to be filmed. 

The Charge of Rokitna (Polish:  Szarza pod Rokitna) June 13, 1915 in Bessarabia (Russia), interwar part of Roumania.

Part 1 infra

Part 2 infra

I researched time ago on Polish cavalry trained by the Italian Army in 1918-19. They later fought against Soviet Russians

• 3 months later...