Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

575th (Cornwall) Works Company RE

Medaler

Sapper Arthur Greaves (304316) seems to have been their only casualty, and is remembered on the roll of honour that I am currently researching. He lost his life to pneumonia on 7th January 1919 at the 8th Canadian Stationary Hospital when they were in Dunkirk, and his final resting place is in the town cemetery there.

I have his obituaries and the usual stuff like CWGC, SDGW, Soldier's Effects, MIC etc, but am really struggling with his unit. I have no idea about when they first went to France, who they were, or what they were doing. I have not been able to track down a war diary for them, but that may just be because I have been looking in the wrong places.

Can anyone help me to fill in these gaps? 

Warmest regards,

Mike

Mike,

I can't find a war diary for 575, but there are war diaries for 573 {Cornwall} Royal Engineers. They go up to 1919. Perhaps there was a clerical error at some point and 575 was recorded instead of 573. Diaries are free at present so may be worth a look.   https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=WO+95%2F+CORNWALL+ROYAL+ENGINEERS&_p=1900

Regards,

Alf McM

Meddler

The company was originally 2/2nd (Fowey) Works Company. They arrived in France under command of Captain J L Rogers RE during July, 1918 and were redesignated 575 Cornwall Works Company. They worked under the the Independent Airforce employed on aerodrome  construction in Lorraine, through the Director of Works. They left in November 1918 and went to Dunkerque to work on demobilisation camps.

They suffered the following casualties which were noted as being due to exposure whilst on active service. These were:

Spr AE Flint, Spr A Greaves, Spr AE Rhoda and Spr P Walton.

Source: Cornwall’s Royal Engineers, Lt Colonel CJH Mead, Plymouth (nd)

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Many thanks gents, 

That is a great start for me, and truly appreciated. The obituary for Greaves states that he enlisted 3rd July 1917, and being unmarried and only in his late 20's when he died, I am assuming that he was a conscript. Having searched CWGC and found him, I did a follow up search with just the sub unit details and drew a complete blank except for him. That is why I thought he must have been their only casualty. I will look at the others too.

Very interesting details about where they were and what they had been doing.

Warmest regards,

Mike

Having checked GWGC now for Flint, Rhoda and Walton, there are no matching entries on their records. I can only assume, therefore, that whilst they may have been impaired, they survived. Interestingly, the unusually named Sapper Rhoda seems also not to have an MIC.

Attached is a photo of my bloke Greaves.

71. Greaves Courier.jpg