Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3198 W A Fairbrass

Reiver1982

Hi all, first post here.

Bit of a long shot but I'm wondering if anybody out there has come across any individual/unit photographs of my GtGrandad?

He served with 2/East Surrey and was listed as killed 25/04/1915

Any help greatly received...

Welcome to the forum.

I can't see a photograph of your grandfather online, but others may manage better.

All military records for your grandfather refer to him as Alfred William Fairbrass.

I'm not sure if you have this, but this is a photo of hiis gravestone, on findagrave;-  https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/56464671/alfred-william-fairbrass

There is also a family tree on Ancestry;- https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/175310701/person/132282482824/facts

Your best bet for a photograpgh is in contemporary local newspapers.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thank you for the reply, that's my mistake putting W A instead of A W....

I've narrowed down his headstone on the wiki page for Artillery Wood Cemetery, but I can't thank you enough for the individual headstone picture you have linked in your reply.

Also the ancestry link is most helpful, there is information there I can add to my own  tree project.

Many thanks again!

Pleased to help.

Family trees on Ancestry can be useful, but not all are as accurate as they could be. Always try and confirm anything you find on them.

Since Alfred lived in Battersea in 1911 at least, it may be worthwhile contacting the following;-

The Wandsworth Heritage Service can be contacted at:
Battersea Library,
265 Lavender Hill,
SW11 1JB.
Tel 020 7223 2334
Email heritage@gll.org

They may be able to you where you can look up local newspapers. I am assuming you live local to Battersea, or they may suggest a researcher to look for you.

Regards,

Alf McM