Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Portsmouth and the Great War - Does anyone have a copy?

RedCoat

Hi all, 

If anyone have a copy of Portsmouth and the Great War please let me know. 

I am thinking about purchasing a copy but before I do, I wondered if someone could do a quick lookup for me. 

Kind regards

Red

19 hours ago, RedCoat said:

Hi all, 

If anyone have a copy of Portsmouth and the Great War please let me know. 

I am thinking about purchasing a copy but before I do, I wondered if someone could do a quick lookup for me. 

Kind regards

Red

These 'your town' [edit] in the great war series of books can vary in quality.

I have the Southampton and Winchester books and IMHO they are rather disappointing.

When I mean disappointing, I mean that specific local interest to the subject town is minimal. 

Edited by Alan24

I recall that the publishers advertised for authors able to write local titles. A former school-friend of mine who lived in Wiltshire but with no knowledge of the subject got the commission for Salisbury and produced a very acceptable book. He did a lot of groundwork and came up with some fresh info. He'd already come across my "Wiltshire" book and I gave him a copy of Canadian Army, which had a bit about the "exuberant" effect the Canadians had on the city in late 1914, but he never referred to them at all.

For my comments on the Reading and Torquay versions, see here.

EDIT Ah! Alan and I appear to have been thinking of the centenary"in the Great War" series published by Pen & Sword. Second-hand copies of the Portsmouth book are available for a couple of quid.

But Portsmouth and the Great War is a completely different book, edited by William G Gates and published in 1919. Prices vary, but facsimile copies are available for £5 or so.

So in either case not a lot of money to risk.

Edited by Moonraker

I have an original version. What do you need looking up ? 

Can you just confirm whether you refer to the 1919 publication, or to Sarah Quail's 2014 book of the same title. I have both, (and the addenda sheets for the 1919 edition which I was fortunate enough to find in a used copy).

Like Gareth Morris above, happy to look up.

Keith

8 hours ago, Moonraker said:

EDIT Ah! Alan and I appear to have been thinking of the centenary"in the Great War" series published by Pen & Sword. Second-hand copies of the Portsmouth book are available for a couple of quid.

My mistake too...

Yes, I was thinking of the Pen & Sword publications.

I have had a PM from Redcoat, and quickly scanned my copy of Portsmouth and The Great War.  I could see no mention of his subject whose MC was gazetted in 1919. The book contains a roll of honour of casualties, (probably the starting point for the names on the city war memorial), and a list of men receiving gallantry awards.  That list is light on officers, possibly accurately, possibly for reasons of middle class reticence?  In any case, I could find not trace of his relative; few serving military are mentioned by name other than in the awards list as it is primarily about the contributions made within the city, by non-military individuals. I ahve added this just to round off the thread.

Document_2021-08-09_101414.jpg.b9ae7f43c9eab14000d18e73dd45369c.jpg