Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rev Wilfred Yorke Batley M.C.

Brian J Owen

Looking for any information on Rev Wilfred Yorke Batley M.C. Chaplin to the 126th Brigade R.F.A.. The award of his M.C. was in the London Gazette on 18th October 1917, are the citations available on line through the National Archives ? 

He joined the army 29th August 1916, as Chaplin to the forces 4th class

Hi Brian,

From the National Archives, his MC index card, and hand annotated citation giving the date/place of his MC action.

image.png.7e4e9d7e76dea9dd9c7ee37851eeb634.png
image.png.7d557dfeb3f53559fa1aca5f353c07e4.png

Images sourced from the National Archives

Regards
Chris

"Wilfred Yorke Batley" ?  surely William Yorke Batley 

682259927_batleyMIC.JPG.440d517b3f51889b93b1414a38882aaa.JPG

It appears he has been erroneously list as Wilfred on his M.C citation 

Born 12 Jan 1976  died 3rd April1960 aged 84 

His birth, MIC census returns, marriage records, and death all show WILLIAM

or am I missing something 

Ray

Edited by RaySearching
death date correction

Thank you all for the information, strange how a William ended up as a Wilfred, even in those days there were typing errors, nothing changes thank you all again, much appreciated,

Regards,

Brian

• 1 month later...

Sorry, I did not realize That I could pick up this thread again.

Regards,

Brian 

Your Q - "I am trying to track the date of the M.C. awarded, placed in the London Gazette 18th October 1917. I have checked the War Diary for the 126th Brigade A.F.A., no mention of an award to Rev Batley,  but it mentions awards to Lt Mellor, and Lt Robinson at the beginning of September 1917. Did the Army Chaplin's keep a separate war diary? The citation is familiar to the one for Lt Mellor, just thinking may be there were three M.C.s awarded for the action on the 20th July 1917."

Chris' annotated MC citation above gives a date (21-8-17) and place. The MC Index Card states that he was with the 11th Div. Artillery at the time?

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Thanks for you reply, in our local paper for July 27th 1917, it stated "Both your sons did a lot of good and hard work, and always did their duty bravely and cheerfully.” They are buried together in a military cemetery. The Chaplain (the Vicar of Beckenham, Kent), officiated.

I have tracked the Chaplain to being the Rev Batley, just look properly and I can see date and place in the bottom right corner, will look in the 11th Div Artillery diary, 

thanks again

Regards,

Brian