Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Charles Starkie 624646 H.A.C.

Brian J Owen

Could anyone assist with anymore information regards Driver John Starkie

“News has reached Doncaster of the death in action of a well-known local solicitor.  Driver John Charles Starkie, youngest son of the Rev Starkie Starkie, a Wesleyan Minister, of Roydfield, Yeardon. Mr Starkie was a driver in the Hon. Artillery Company, and was a member of the firm of Messrs Wallis and Starkie, of Hillgate, Doncaster, and Long Eaton. His eldest brother is a Long Eaton solicitor, and other brother is an accountant in Leeds. The Rev Starkie Starkie was for three Years in the Pateley Bridge Wesleyan Circuit, and was stationed at Dacre Banks.

Thank you

starkie.PNG

The register of soldiers' effects says he was in 126 Brigade RFA when he was killed on 20 Jul 1917. 

His HAC record is here on Findmypast:HAC World War One record cards 1914-1919 Image | findmypast.co.uk showing him in 2 A Battery HAC.  2 A Battery HAC was part of 126 Brigade.  The war diary for 126 Brigade RFA has July and August 1917 missing!  The brigade were Army Troops at that time (1st Army).

MaxD

Thank you for the information, much appreciated,

Kind regards,

Brian

Photograph of John C. Starkie. Taken from the Doncaster Chronicle 3rd August 1917 page 3. Regards

Starkie J.C. Dvr  Honorable Artillery Comp  Don Chron 3rd Aug 1917 page 3.jpeg

Jim, thank you so much for the photo, John Starkie has been a part of my research for over twenty years, as he was in a party along with my mothers two uncles killed on the 20/07/1917

and now at last I have a face to put to a name,

Kind Regards,

Brian