Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Conscripted into KRRC

johnboy

My grandfather has no available service record. I think he would have been called up 1916 ish. He was a married man with a child..

He was enlisted into a regular regiment {2nd}. As the Krrc raised many service battalions would there have been any reason he was put with 2nd battalion rather than a service battalion. His MIC only shows 2nd battalion so I assume he was not transferred on arrival in France.

12 minutes ago, johnboy said:

My grandfather has no available service record. I think he would have been called up 1916 ish. He was a married man with a child..

He was enlisted into a regular regiment {2nd}. As the Krrc raised many service battalions would there have been any reason he was put with 2nd battalion rather than a service battalion. His MIC only shows 2nd battalion so I assume he was not transferred on arrival in France.

Once men were conscripted from 1916 as a result of the Military Service Act they would be sent to whatever battalion needed men at the time.  The driver was sheer military need and pragmatism.  This stance might see a man sent to a regular, war service, or Territorial Force battalion without discrimination.  The fundamental shift was a recognition of the demands of total war upon a nation’s available manpower of military age.

Edited by FROGSMILE