Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle Field / Front > Zones

Richard Stiles

Hi there,

When reading unit war diaries frequent mention is made of colour designated lines in addition to front-line, support-line, etc. Examples are Green Line, Black Line, Yellow Line, etc.

Can anyone please advise what the different line were?

As far as I can make out, some seem to be operational objectives i.e. X battalion will advance to the Blue Line, while others appear to be defensive positions i.e. the pioneers worked on the Brown Line.

Many thanks, 

Richard

Richard

As far as my understanding goes they were literally lines  drawn on a map.  X battalion will attack and advance to the Brown Line  Y Battalion will advance through X Battalion and attack the Blue Line. Normally the lines would follow the lines of German trenches , once they were captured they could offer some cover and then could be reversed.

I hope this helps

Malcolm 

If you look in the superior unit war diaries i.e. brigade and divisional you sometimes find the maps with the relevant lines drawn on in the relevant colour

• 1 month later...
On 05/08/2021 at 03:41, Malcolm Linham said:

As far as my understanding goes they were literally lines drawn on a map. 

Here is a great example from 7 June 1917 for IX Corps, attacking from the front line to the Red Line to Blue Line to Green Line to Black Line to the Mauve Line and finally the Oosttaverne Line.  This presumably involved divisions or brigades leap-frogging.  Courtesy IWM / WFA.

image.png.962b7e0da27bf23386a6cc0aced83342.png