Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arras Memorial

rickpreston@nasuwt.net

John Johnson. Corporal. Lancashire Fusiliers. ARRAS MEMORIAL - Bay 8.

Has any member got a picture of Bay 8. It would help me immensely to have one.

Thank You

Richard

I wonder which memorial in Rochdale you are researching, Richard, as my grandad mentions at least one casualty who came from Rochdale, though I don't know whether he was mentioned on any memorials in his home town.

On the subject of John Johnson's commemoration, who I see was in the 11th Battalion, I'm not sure whether Tom Lang's free site provides photos of inscriptions on memorials, as opposed to a photograph of a headstone. Edward 1's site certainly does offer a photograph of Bay 5 of the Arras memorial for a very modest fee, but I see that they comment that the names on the memorial are not well defined - whether that is because of the quality of the photograph or the quality of the engraving is not clear.

We visited Arras in 2018, but I can't help by providing a photograph of Panel 5 at the moment, I'm afraid, as we didn't visit the memorial,. If we had visited it, I would very probably have photogrphed the Lancashire Fusiliers' panel. I am intending to return to the battlefield area, hopefully next year, and I certainly intend to revisit Arras. That may be too late for you, but, if you can't get a decent photograph from Edward 1's site, and there is no urgency, I could see what I could do - though I don't profess to be a brilliant photographer.

23 hours ago, A Lancashire Fusilier by Proxy said:

On the subject of John Johnson's commemoration, who I see was in the 11th Battalion, I'm not sure whether Tom Lang's free site provides photos of inscriptions on memorials, as opposed to a photograph of a headstone. Edward 1's site certainly does offer a photograph of Bay 5 of the Arras memorial for a very modest fee, but I see that they comment that the names on the memorial are not well defined - whether that is because of the quality of the photograph or the quality of the engraving is not clear.

as with many of the panels we have seen Arras ones are set back under a shelf and also like Thiepval can be up high, so, depending on position you can wait for hours to get the sunlight to give you a good picture likewise, if the name is up high a stick is needed to get a square on view. Ive had a look at mine but cant see a Johnson , but to show part of a panel.

DSC_0369.JPG