Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Dublin Fusiliers and Indian Army Officer

Rock

I would like to thank members for all the help with requests in the past and I hope that some could aid me with my research of a officer.His name was Joseph Charles Devoy enlisted in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers 10335.Commissioned 4th March 1916 R.D.F.. Awarded D.C.M. and Military Cross Later he was attached to the Indian Army (Rank Captain) and I am looking for any information on his service with them.He may have died in India some time in the 1920's.I have checked with Ancestry etc. and have come to a dead end regarding his time in India and death..

From various newspapers.

10335 Sergeant J Devoy, 1st Battalion, Royal Dublin Fusiliers.- For conspicuous gallantry and devotion on the 21st August, 1915, at Suvla Bay. The gorse having been ignited by the enemy’s shells. Sergeant Devoy exhibited great bravery in fighting the flames and thus enabling a stack of reserve ammunition to be saved.

Promotion for Dublin Fusilier.

Sergeant Devoy, R.D.F., who some time ago was awarded the D.C.M.for bravery in the field, and also decorated with the Medaile Militaire, has been promoted to a Lieutenancy in the 6th Battalion.

Wounded.

Lieutenant J Devoy, RDF, was well known in Naas, as Sergeant Devoy.

Name Maurice Roland Devoy
Sex Male
Christening Date 3 Jul 1920
Christening Place Wellington, Tamil Nādu, India
Christening Place (Original) Wellington, Madras, India
Birth Date 5 Jun 1920
Father's Name Joseph Charles Devoy
Father's Sex Male
Mother's Name Rosalie Lillian
Mother's Sex Female

LG 31/1/1919 shows appointed Lt (on probation) to the Indian Army. Rank Lt  confirmed 12/5/1918 to rank from 5/3/1917.

By the way, a good MC citation

1792167712_GWFDevoyJCBMCcitation.JPG.d3dc2357de96eddb052d335b0c6ae606.JPG

LG shows him retiring  11 Mar 1922

And from Ancestry

devoy.jpg

DNW sold his medals some time ago. Those that know about these things will be able to identify them

devoy-medals.jpg.9da026b74f20e4a6dcfbb07c831f35fa.jpg

I’m not surprised he retired in 1922, that last campaign that he experienced in Afghanistan was a tough one.  A challenge at any time, but imagine going there after fighting your way through WW1.

Edited by FROGSMILE

8 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Jan 1922 IA List says attached Supply & Transport Corps

164505675_GWFDevoyJCBIAListJan1922.JPG.0068b5caf35cb23410374cbe2e499462.JPG

Probably involved along the lines of communication Charlie.  Keeping the supply lines open was always a challenge on the NWF.  Hard for us to imagine now.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I am out of my comfort zone with medals, and had hoped that someone else could identify them, but I think the the second from the right is the WW2 British War Medal

The War Medal 1939–1945 is a campaign medal which was instituted by the United Kingdom on 16 August 1945, for award to citizens of the British Commonwealth who had served full-time in the Armed Forces or the Merchant Navy for at least 28 days between 3 September 1939 and 2 September 1945.

Which would indicate that he served in WW2

4 minutes ago, corisande said:

I am out of my comfort zone with medals, and had hoped that someone else could identify them, but I think the the second from the right is the WW2 British War Medal

The War Medal 1939–1945 is a campaign medal which was instituted by the United Kingdom on 16 August 1945, for award to citizens of the British Commonwealth who had served full-time in the Armed Forces or the Merchant Navy for at least 28 days between 3 September 1939 and 2 September 1945.

Which would indicate that he served in WW2

Yes I was wondering if he might have served in the Home Guard or ARP.  Either way he certainly did more than his bit.

Edited by FROGSMILE

The right hand medal is the French MM see LG in Feb 1916

2 minutes ago, corisande said:

The right hand medal is the French MM see LG in Feb 1916

Interesting, it’s the first time I’ve seen that particular medal.  I don’t know if citations for it survive.

Military Cross, G.V.R.; Distinguished Conduct Medal, G.V.R. (10335 Sjt., 1/R. Dub. F.); 1914-15 Star (10335 L.-Cpl., R. Dub. Fus.); British War and Victory Medals, with M.I.D. oak leaf (Capt.); India General Service 1908-35, 2 clasps, Mahsud 1919-20, Waziristan 1919-21(Capt., S. & T.C.); War Medal 1939-45; France, Medaille Militaire,

Per DNW

Edited by charlie962

I finally tracked down the DNW sales blurb

https://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/past-catalogues/lot.php?auction_id=52&lot_uid=90565

It has a lot of interesting  background of his pre-Indian service, but adds nothing on India

8 minutes ago, corisande said:

I finally tracked down the DNW sales blurb

https://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/past-catalogues/lot.php?auction_id=52&lot_uid=90565

It has a lot of interesting  background of his pre-Indian service, but adds nothing on India

Quite an extraordinary account of frontline service.  Unfortunately unless the S&TC maintained some kind of operational diary or he maintained his own it’s likely that there’s little information beyond official communiques regarding specific activities on the LofC.  It’s a pity.

Again doe not add to India, but gives more background on him - Denbigh Marriages has

devoy-marriage.jpg.6431daa8125231677a336b9d4b499132.jpg

Edited by corisande

8 minutes ago, corisande said:

Again doe not add to India, but gives more background on him - Denbigh Marriages has

devoy-marriage.jpg.6431daa8125231677a336b9d4b499132.jpg

Interesting.  I think it was relatively unusual at the time for a ranker to be the son of a Physician and Surgeon (i.e. of the professional classes).  His father-in-law might have felt some affinity as himself a subaltern in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, albeit on garrison (reserve battalion) service.

Edited by FROGSMILE

12 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I think it was relatively unusual at the time for a ranker to be the son of a Physician and Surgeon (i.e. of the professional classes).

You are quite right, it would not have happened in Dublin at that time

I do not had time to cross check my facts here - perhaps someone else can

But it looks as if he was being economical with his background. This looks like his birth and 1901 census, in as much as they are the only details that check with his Marriage Cert

devoy-birth.jpg.b179cf22ede688550bcd3504cd960eb3.jpg

devoy-1901.jpg.1878dfe5cee004a15bf426748c8452d9.jpg

Lillian Rosalie Garside, born 22 July 1894 in Madras to Eli Garside, married Ronald Drucquer on 27 November 1922 in Ootacamund, Madras. Death registered 1978 in Surrey. 

JP

48 minutes ago, corisande said:

You are quite right, it would not have happened in Dublin at that time

I do not had time to cross check my facts here - perhaps someone else can

But it looks as if he was being economical with his background. This looks like his birth and 1901 census, in as much as they are the only details that check with his Marriage Cert

devoy-birth.jpg.b179cf22ede688550bcd3504cd960eb3.jpg

devoy-1901.jpg.1878dfe5cee004a15bf426748c8452d9.jpg

His father was actually an Inland Revenue Officer in reality then?   I wonder why he felt the need to embellish that.  Both middle class, but one a cut above I suppose.

Edited by FROGSMILE

28 minutes ago, helpjpl said:

Lillian Rosalie Garside, born 22 July 1894 in Madras to Eli Garside, married Ronald Drucquer on 27 November 1922 in Ootacamund, Madras. Death registered 1978 in Surrey. 

JP

That seems to suggest that Lt Devoy died soon after retirement and his wife then remarried?  I wonder if he had been terminally ill or just unlucky and died quickly in some manner unexpected.  Curious. 

There is a mention that he received WW2 medals, so he didn't die before then. Sounds like he may have been divorced for his wife to remarry in 1922.

Maureen