Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Chorlton labour corps, manch reg and rifle brigade.

chorlton76

can someone plese help me with this document. It's the only document i know for sure that belongs to my great grandfather as it has the correct address 33 Fitzgeorge st Collyhurst Manchester.

I cant find anything else relating to him and i'm struggling with all the different numbers and regiments on this pension card. If anybody can shed some light on a service number i can search it would be helpful as ancestry has it as H1213. and lists him as Lab corps, manch r and trb many thanks.

Screenshot 2021-08-02 at 13-33-15 Page 1 UK, WWI Pension Ledgers and Index Cards, 1914-1923 - Fold3.png

Edited by chorlton76

Answered it myself with this 261213 labour corps. If anyone does come accross anything else i will be gratefull.

Screenshot 2021-08-02 at 14-10-22 Page 1 UK, WWI Pension Ledgers and Index Cards, 1914-1923 - Fold3.png

The cards show he transferred to the Labour Corps in 1919 so there wouldn't be a medal record against that number.  There is a name in the Manchester Regiment preceded by the Border Regiment (if that is what the second squiggle represents}  but no full records as far as I can see.  No hits fro the name in the RB

MaxD

Edited by MaxD

Thanks Maxd. I have found a few other records relating to His son Richards death. it looks like he was claiming a pension for himself and his son and his second wife caried on claiming after his death stating she was Richards mother which is not the case. looks a bit sus to me. William lived untill 1949. Richards mother died in 1924.

546892773_Screenshot2021-08-02at15-25-08Page1UKWWIPensionLedgersandIndexCards1914-1923-Fold3.png.a397c99b36fc6b0b3e5617a778bcec91.png

Screenshot 2021-08-02 at 14-24-55 Page 1 UK, WWI Pension Ledgers and Index Cards, 1914-1923 - Fold3.png

Edited by chorlton76

I think the second squiggle you mean is the R for regiment. not found any medal cards for Manchesters and Rifle Brigade as yet.or anything other than Pension records.

Another 1919 record so no medal to chase up.

iF the squiggle is indeed an "R" then that could be 2 Border Regiment which would, with  a fair wind, match the medal card of 30413 later 61768 William Chorlton 2nd Border then 22nd Manchesters. ( Medal award roll) BUT no service records apparent.

MaxD

You could take a punt on the birth cert of what looks like their youngest child Lily registered Q4 1914 Manchester, it may have his regiment if he joined by then although sometimes it just says "soldier".

MaxD

• Admin
1 hour ago, MaxD said:

The cards show he transferred to the Labour Corps in 1919

That's his transfer to the Reserve on discharge

I would put his Labour Corps number as being allotted circa mid 1917.

Russ

Yes I saw the seeming anomaly between my reading of the card and the allotment of LC numbers.  Could be then that we are looking at a man with no overseas service hence no medal records ans service record up in smoke.

Also see the alternative reading of the squiggle.

MaxD

• Admin

As I said, it's TRB with the meaning I provided.

Lots of men in the Medal Rolls with similar LC numbers who were ex Manchester Regiment but who passed via the 69th Training Reserve Battalion (ex 25th Reserve Battalion, Manchester Regiment). The LC number 261211 was allotted on 23/06/1917 to a man who joined the 479th Home Service Employment Company from the 69/TRB.

Russ 

• Admin

And here is another man in that LC number series who was ex Manchester & 69/TRB ........

The 479th HS Employment Company, LC, appears to have been the original destination for quite a few men with LC numbers either side of William Chorlton's, so I would be pretty confident he also started his LC service with them.

Regards

Russ

I wonder if it says march 16 the reserve battalion and not Manchester reg and rifle brig as transcribed. he was 40 with poor lungs after all. Appreciate all the help everyone.

Edited by chorlton76