The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James A Webster A.S.C.

shaun42

Hi

can anybody help me find more info on this soldier 

James A Webster

Pte. T4-123443, Army Service Corps

i have his medal card which shows name and number etc, there is a comment on the card

A.R. CL2 or(Z) 31-6-19, not sure what this means, but it looks like he survived the War, would his pension record be available, I’ve tried searching but no luck.

any help would be much appreciated 

Shaun

99B23D0A-29F5-4B6C-A536-11533D875E77.jpeg

Thanks guys 

I don’t have a findmypast account so didn’t see this, gives me a great start for my research.

any clues as to what the references are on the medal card ?

Shaun

14 hours ago, shaun42 said:

A.R. CL2 or(Z) 31-6-19, not sure what this means, but it looks like he survived the War, would his pension record be available, I’ve tried searching but no luck.

47 minutes ago, shaun42 said:

any clues as to what the references are on the medal card ?

I'll have a wild guess and suggest that this is the date he was transferred to the Army Reserve (Class Z) and effectively demobilized. His surviving service record is also available on Ancestry and shows that he was transferred to the UK for demobilization on 2 May 1919. The last entry on his military history sheet shows that he was in the UK from 3 May 1919 to 30 June 1919, with 30 June 1919 presumably being his last day as a serving soldier in the Army.

Edited to add that the date of his first entry to France was 2 July 1915, so in addition to the British War and Victory Medals, he was also entitled to the 1914-15 Star. These are on separate medal rolls, but his entry on the 1914-15 Star roll states A.R.CL.Z 31.6.19, which is clearly a typo as there is no 31 June.

If he didn't die or pick up a disability of some form while in service, then it is extremely unlikely that he will be entitled to a pension of any form.

Edited by Tawhiri

You can find more on the various types of British Army reserves at the Long Long Trail, Class Z is explained near the bottom of the page.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/enlisting-into-the-army/british-army-reserves-and-reservists/

Also see the following page that describes how to interpret a medal card, especially the first entry under Miscellaneous references on the cards about two/thirds of the way down the page.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/campaign-medal-records/how-to-interpret-a-campaign-medal-index-card/

Thanks again everyone 

I have now found his records on Ancestry (thanks Tawhiri) which explains a lot 

also thanks to Dai 

Shaun