Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Annotated (Numbered) Trench Map of Hebuterne, 57D N. E. 3 & 4 (Parts of).

high wood

I have this rather rare map in my collection and have often wondered what is the significance of the numbers added to it and, more importantly, where is the key?

I am pretty sure that the map was prepared for the opening attacks of the battle of the Somme, particularly the attack on Serre. However, the numbers seems to cross the boundary between the 31st Division and the 4th Division either side of Ten Tree Alley, so it may have used at Corps rather than Divisional level.

The numbers clearly refer to key points in the German trench system, but why they were numbered remains a mystery.

What else is interesting is that the new trench in front of Hebuterne dug by the 56th Division in June 1916 has been marked in blue pencil.

Hebuterne 010.JPG

Hebuterne 011.JPG

Hebuterne 012.JPG

Hebuterne 013.JPG

Hebuterne 014.JPG

Hebuterne 017.JPG

Hebuterne 018.JPG

Hebuterne 029.JPG

1 hour ago, EDWARD1 said:

Its the 10ths Easterly and then 10ths Northerly of the square they appear

I am confused. Are you referring to the printed numbers within the squares or the proliferation of hand written numbers within the small circles?

If it is the later, I would imagine that they are specific targets such as machine gun posts, ammunition stores or the entrances to dugouts that are on a master list with a definition of the target next to each number. e.g. 97 - trench mortar position. Presumably the gunners would be given a specific number by the F.O.O. and would then look up the map reference on their list and then aim and fire the gun accordingly.

Hand written numbers within a circle. Each square on the map ie K30  Serre (the K is at the bottom of the map) is divided into 4  from top left (a) top right (b) bottom left (c) bottom right (d) therefore the circled 51  location is 57dNE3K30b5.1 which could be found on any trench map 57d NE3 not annotated.

Edited by EDWARD1

I'd agree the circled numbers are devised from the map references. Somewhere in a diary (Battalion-Corps level) one would expect the numbers to be explained.

It could be that a battalion's 1st objective was K29b point 10 to K29d point 25. Second wave then leapfrog to points 40-44. Or EG. B Company consolidate the junction at point 76.

Not 100% sure what the enemy red circles with red dots are but I'd go with a stronghold but not all of these are numbered up.

Is shelling a trench junction (point 76) an advantage as opposed to the three un-numbered red circles in the same sub-square?

TEW

Objectives rather than Artillery aiming points makes much more sense but the numbered circles could still be used by the artillery if the need arose.

Map 003.JPG

The map sections are for the northern limit of 4th Division?

4th Division General Staff diary WO95/1444/4 page 8 of download has:

Objectives of 4th Division are:

(a). German trenches on the line Q.5.a.9.1 (point 91) - K 35.c.9.4 (point 94) - K.36.a.0.5 (point 05).

Points 94 & 05 are as per your map extract.

WO95/1445/1 Part 2 page 2 has a very similar map to yours, same circled numbers but adds barrage lift times against coloured lines. For square K.35 Points 05, 81 & 49 form a line along the second lift off the front line while points 55, 92, 77, 94, 62 are not on a barrage line.

I've also looked at some Brigade diaries which refer to objectives as EG. Points 91, 92, 86 etc.

TEW

11th Infantry Brigade has the first objective line on points 49, 81 & 05 for 8th Warwicks. Same line as the second barrage noted in previous post.

TEW

1 hour ago, TEW said:

The map sections are for the northern limit of 4th Division?

4th Division General Staff diary WO95/1444/4 page 8 of download has:

Objectives of 4th Division are:

(a). German trenches on the line Q.5.a.9.1 (point 91) - K 35.c.9.4 (point 94) - K.36.a.0.5 (point 05).

Points 94 & 05 are as per your map extract.

WO95/1445/1 Part 2 page 2 has a very similar map to yours, same circled numbers but adds barrage lift times against coloured lines. For square K.35 Points 05, 81 & 49 form a line along the second lift off the front line while points 55, 92, 77, 94, 62 are not on a barrage line.

I've also looked at some Brigade diaries which refer to objectives as EG. Points 91, 92, 86 etc.

TEW

Superb stuff, many thanks for taking the time to look this up for me. Is the 4th Division General Staff Diary available for download from the National Archives?

Yes, but you can drill down to battalion level EG. 1st Rifle Brigade who also use the numbered points.

I looked at 4th Army General Staff, 11th Brigade HQ & 1st/RB.

Because of the amount of appendices the diaries tend to be for May/June with all the plans etc., then another for July with narratives.

I didn't check but I suspect they may have avoided duplicating numbered points. The diaries usually only refer to EG. point 05 without giving the map square.

According to one narrative the Somerset LI & 8th Warwicks managed to get small parties into points 92 & 77.

I also suspect that as 1st RB/11th  brigade were at the extreme north boundary of 4th Division they would have to know the Points of interest for the southern limit of 31st Division in order to gain touch and establish a consolidated line between two points EG. 05 & 18  Otherwise there could be friendly fire problems.

TEW

PS. Yes, all available as download from TNA

Edited by TEW
Addition

TEW,

many thanks for all your help with this, it is appreciated. Quite coincidentally, I have just researched six brothers from Bristol, the youngest of whom served with the 1st Battalion Somerset Light Infantry and was killed in July 1st in this location. The photographs of the brothers did not come from the same source as the map.

Simon.