Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo 2/4 Ox & Bucks

Ralph J. Whitehead

Hello all, my relative served in this battalion when he was killed in Flanders in August 1917. I have been searching for photos and family connections in vain. I was hoping that someone might have a photo of a man in this battalion that I could use as a representative photo on my Ancestry tree. 

I would give full credit to whomever can help and not use it for any other reasons. Thanks, Ralph

Ralph,

have you searched newspaper archives appropriate to his location pre-war? Another thought is if there is an Ox/Bucks history group where specific knowledge may (or not) be forthcoming.

Simon

There is a battalion history of 2/4th Bn OBLI that you can access on line here.  It includes some photographs that may be of use.

Looks like the ideal man, particularly if Wilcox VC was with the same unit at the time of your subjects demise. I'd have thought there would be a photo of Wilcox in uniform (showing cap badge?) given his award somewhere on the net.

Simon

All UK, De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour, 1914-1919 Results on Ancestry has 137 men of the Regiment (not battalion) some of which have head pictures.

Are there any pictures in this book:

The Story of the 2/4th Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry

On his medal card it says RWR also so perhaps that might be another source to check.  I assume it is Arthur Whitehead?  Bernard, Horace and Ivy the children?  

Thanks for all of the good ideas. I have checked on many but no luck so far. I was hoping for a well focused photo postcard. In the meantime I will continue to check ad hopefully will get Lucky and locate one of my relative. Thanks

Edited by Ralph J. Whitehead

I have a large framed photograph of D Coy, 15 Platoon, 2/4th Ox & Bucks, dated April 1916 that I will post when the sun comes up later today

That is really fantastic, thank you very much for posting this photo.  Ralph

Sadly there are no names on the photograph. A look through the war diary might give some names of platoon officers that we could investigate further.

Only an alphabetical list in the 1915/16 Chronicle.

And no obvious matching photograph in the officers’ Roll of Honour in the Chronicles.

Medal Rolls suggest Albert Christian (died 8/8/17) was 1/4th Bn rather than 2/4th.

Soldiers Died gives him as died of wounds and he is buried at Dunhallow ADS cemetery. I would suggest that the group photograph was taken just before his death, as there are a series of photographs taken at the same location just before Third Ypres, of 1/1st Bucks Bn. This is the first I’ve seen of 1/4th.

Edited by johntanner
Details of burial

On 01/08/2021 at 16:58, high wood said:

Sadly there are no names on the photograph. A look through the war diary might give some names of platoon officers that we could investigate further.

Many thanks for looking HW--I had wondered if it could be Lieut/Captain Kenneth Edward Brown of this battalion who won the MC and Bar prior to being wounded and made a POW on the 21/3/18. He died as a result of his wounds whilst in a German Hospital on the 12/4/18.

Having now seen your enlargement of the officer in the photo, I can see clearly that he is not KEB.

Many thanks again for your assistance,

Robert