Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What are differences between Grenier's and Plard's French translation of "In Stahlgewittern"?

Brusilov

I have recently bought a copy of Grenier's translation of In Stahlgewittern (Orages d'Acier) published in 1930. The reason I chose to read this book was because it was translated by a military officer. I assume that he would be familiar with many military details found in Ernst Jünger's memoir.

Recently, I have found out that Jünger's book was translated by Henri Plard. I wonder what are the differences between these two translations. Which one is more accurate?

Thank you!

Hello Brusilov.  I'm afraid I can't compare the two French translations, as I only have the Plard version (and haven't read it for some years, as my own principal interest is in translations of In Stahlgewittern into English).  The Plard edition begins with a foreword (dated 1960) by Ernst Jünger himself, in which he thanks 'my friend Henri Plard, professor at the University of Brussels' for 'this new translation'.  He mentions the earlier translation by Grenier without either criticism or any indication that he himself had any involvement in it (although, on reflection, he would perhaps have been involved in the granting of permission for the translation, the rights to which, I think, would have rested, in 1930, with Mittler).   He also mentions his own several revisions of the German text over numbers of years.  Jünger does not say so explicitly, but I infer that Plard's translation is based on one of the later German versions, and that he welcomed that. 

As you already have the Grenier translation and the Plard version (Livre de Poche) should be readily available, I can only suggest that you acquire a copy of the latter, read both, and draw your own conclusions.

Mick

@SiegeGunner: I have replied to you in a private, please check your inbox.

I am waiting for my copy of Grenier to arrive. After reading Grenier's, I would move on to Plard's. I am very glad that you guys have responded enthusiastically to me. Junge has aroused curiosity in my for quite some times, but I have put off reading his book due to the unavailability of Basil Creighton's translation.

Edited by Brusilov

• 3 weeks later...

I have recently borrowed the second volume of "Ernst Jünger In Stahlgewittern Historisch-kritische Ausgabe Variantenverzeichnis und Materialen" and read some key parts carefully. Despite a large number of editions published since 1920, there are only 7 editions that contain alterations. Below is the full list of these variations listed. The sign | means the title is in a new line. All of these titles are contained in the title pages of these books.:

(I) In Stahlgewittern | Aus dem Tagebuch eines Stoßtruppführers | von | Ernst Jünger | Kriegfreiwilliger, dann Leutnant und Kompanie-Führer im | Füs.-Regt. Prinz Albrecht v. Preußen (Hannov. Nr. 73). | Mit 5 Abbildungen und dem Bilde des Verfassers | Hannover | Selbstverlag der Verfassers | 1920

[Statt “Hannover | Selbstverlag des Verfassers “dann” Leisnig |Verlag Robert Meier]

(II) In Stahlgewittern | Aus dem Tagebuch eines Stoßtruppführers | von | Ernst Jünger | Kriegfreiwilliger, dann Leutnant und Kompanieführer | im Füs.-Regt. Prinz Albrecht v. Preußen (Hannov. Nr. 73). | Leutnant im Reichswehr-Regiment Nr.16 (Hannover) |Zweite Auflage | Mit dem Bilde des Verfassers | Berlin 1922 | Verlag von E.S. Mittler& Sohn

(III) In Stahlgewittern | Aus dem Tagebuch eines Stoßtruppführers | von | Ernst Jünger | Fünfte, | völlig neubearbeitete und erweiterte Auflage | 13. Bis 15. Tausend | Berlin 1924 | Verlegt bei E.S. Mittler&Sohn

In Stahlgewittern | Aus dem Tagebuch eines Stoßtruppführers | von | Ernst Jünger | Sechte Auflage | 16. Bis 18. Tausend | Verlegt bei E.S. Mittler&Sohn/Berlin | 1925

(IV) In Stahlgewittern | Ein Kriegstagebuch | Von | Ernst Jünger | Vierzehnte Auflage | 52. Bis 57. Tausend | Verlegt bei E.S.Mittler&Sohn | Berlin | 1934

(IVa) In Stahlgewittern | Ein Kriegstagebuch | Von | Ernst Jünger | Einmalige Auflage | Deutsche Hausbücherei Hamburg | [ohne Jahresangabe: 1934]

(V) In Stahlgewittern | Ein Kriegstagebuch | Von | Ernst Jünger | Sechzehnte  | erneut durchgesehene Auflage | | 116.-125. Tausend |Verlegt bei E.S.Mittler&Sohn | Berlin | [ohne Jahresangabe: 1935]

(VI) Ernst Jünger | In Stahlgewittern | Ernst Klett Verlag | Stuttgart | 26., vom Autor erneut durchgesehene Auflage | 235.-244. Tausend | Stuttgart 1961

(VII) Ernst Jünger | Werke | Band I: Tagebücher I | Der Erste Weltkrieg, S. 9-300: In Stahlgewittern. Stuttgart: Klett-Cotta, 1978.

= Ernst Jünger | In Stahlgewittern | Klett-Cotta | 27.Auflage | Stuttgart, 1981.

So we have 1920 (I), 1922 (II), 1924 (III), 1934 (IV), 1934a (IVa), 1935 (V), 1961 (VI) and 1978 (VII).

I have not had a chance to consult Grenier's translation since the book has still not arrived, but I will make an educated guess that the French translation ought to be based on either the 1922 or 1924's edition. 1924 is also the edition that Creighton used for his English translation. Being published in 1930, I guess Grenier most likely used the 1924 edition. If this is true, then they have a single unified source text with which the translators work.

Looking online, on abebooks, there are some 1922 editions that are sold at hefty prices, even up to 2000 USD. This version is freely available on guternberg, so you don't have to spend any dime buying it. More tricky is the 1926, 1927 and 1929 edition, which they do sale at some 100 USD. I recommend that you borrow it from your library and have a look. As mentioned above, changes are only made to 7 editions, so any version between 1924 and 1934 will work because they are unchanged.

If there are changes in between these versions, the German work cited above would notice us. I have borrowed the version 1925 (7th edition) from my local library since they don't have the 1924, but it works just fine.

Edited by Brusilov

On 10/08/2021 at 03:03, Brusilov said:

Junge has aroused curiosity in my for quite some times, but I have put off reading his book due to the unavailability of Basil Creighton's translation.

• There have been two English translations, based on different German editions. The 2003 Hofmann translation is considered more literary, but Hofmann was ignorant of German military matters, whereas the 1929 translation by Creighton, who had served in the Great War, was more literal[65] and is more accurate from a military point of view.
The Storm Of Steel: From the Diary of a German Storm-Troop Officer on the Western Front by Ernst Jünger, Lieutenant, 73rd Hanoverian Fusilier Regiment. Reprint of the 1929 translation [by Basil Creighton of the 1924 German edition]. Archive.org.
Storm of Steel by Ernst Jünger. Translated by Michael Hofmann 2003, from the 1961 German edition. Archive.org Lending Library.

[65] Trajan et al. Ernst Junger War Diaries Great War Forum 14th February 2019.

Maureen

I found this picture online, from a seller on ebay. The image reveals the page number of Grenier's translation:

The total number of pages after subtracting the "avant-propos" and the "preface de l'auteur" is 245 pages. Junger's second and third German edition in 1922 has 248 pages, while the 1924's edition (in my case the 1925), the version from which Basil Creighton translates, has 283 pages.

I suspect that Grenier's translation is based on the second edition (II), first published in 1922.

RIMG2609.jpg