Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for a specific location, 144th Infantry Brigade, 6th and 7th May 1916. (1/6th Gloucesters & 1/8th Worcestershire

high wood

I have three post cards all taken at the same place over two days in May 1916, all of which relate to the 144th Infantry Brigade, 48th Division.

The first is entitled, A. Coy, No 1 Platoon 1/6th Gloucestershire Regiment. 6th May 1916.

The second is, Machine Gun Company 144th Infantry Brigade. A. Section. Undated but taken at the same location. Most of the soldiers are wearing either Gloucestershire Regiment on M.G.C. cap badges.

The third is, A Coy, 8th Worcestershire Regiment. 7th May 1916. Again taken at the same location.

I am guessing that they are out of the line and probably resting in a village somewhere. If anyone can provide the location I will be very pleased.

I will post the photographs in due course.

Edited by high wood

• high wood changed the title to Looking for a specific location, 144th Infantry Brigade, 6th and 7th May 1916. (1/6th Gloucesters & 1/8th Worcestershire

Incredibly I have another group photograph in my collection taken at the same location at a different date. this one of the 10th Platoon 1/4th Royal Berkshire Regiment. They are in the same Division as the others, the 48th (South Midland) T.F., but not in the same Brigade as they are in the 145th and not the 144th.

The post card was sent in September 1916 after they had come out of the line. It is rather moving in that the sender has numbered those who were killed and those who were wounded, so clearly the photograph was taken before they went into the line.

It would seem that Beauval was the rear base area for the 48th (South Midlands) Division. (T.F.) as they seem to have used it for the spring and summer of 1916. They clearly used the same location for their company photographs and I wonder if there was a local photographer in the village.

And still it comes 006.JPG

And still it comes 007.JPG

To illustrate the point that it is the same location, here are the roof tiles in all three photographs together. The angle at which the photographs were taken is slightly different, but there is no doubt that it is the same location.

And still it comes 021.JPG

My grandfather Tom Reeves was serving with the battalion then. They were on the receiving end of a German gas shell (phosgene) barrage in August 1916 whilst digging a communication trench near Ovilliers. This was new to them and they were slow to get their PH helmets on. Over the next few days men started  to collapse. This delayed action effect was a good sign it was phosgene. Tom was evacuated for treatment and ended up being transferred to 10th Lincoln’s.

TR

Terry,

was it the 1/4th Royal Berkshire Regiment that your grand father served with? If so, I have several more related photographs that I can post.

Simon.

Hello High Wood,

I have just come across this post and I have been absolutely fascinated by these images. I was wondering where you had managed to find these postcards and if you knew of any similar photographs that featured men serving with The 143rd Infantry Brigade who were also part of The 48th Division? Thank you so much for posting these absolutely fascinating images of these unique postcards.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

• 3 months later...
On 03/08/2021 at 18:52, high wood said:

Terry,

was it the 1/4th Royal Berkshire Regiment that your grand father served with? If so, I have several more related photographs that I can post.

Simon.

Simon 

Sorry,  missed your post. He was with  1/8  Worcesters, but thanks anyway.

TR

• 6 months later...
On 03/08/2021 at 18:52, high wood said:

Terry,

Simon.

Hi, I'm a bit late coming to this thread but I'd be interested in seeing any pictures / postcards of the 1/4th Royal Berks that anyone has. I have a few myself but am on  the lookout for more. Thank you  

hi, I only have one pic from a 1914 post card of my wife’s g. uncle wishing the family well for 1915 

Frank Palmer Selby 1/4th berks died 25th Aug 1915. Any pics before that date greatly appreciated.

cheers  

alan 

2346195A-6914-4115-BCCA-E91F46FC8BE8.jpeg

0BD4AE10-4051-4994-8812-F0C76BD47E70.jpeg

good morning,

I assume that the piece of fabric is to protect the equipment when carrying the gun on the shoulder?

michel

Edited by battle of loos

Hi, Frank enlisted in Sept 14 with fellow draftsmen from Pulsometer Pump Company in Reading. Pic will have been taken after kit out and before Christmas 1914. Good spot on the shoulder cloth yes must have been to protect his shiny new gear. 

cheers

alan

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Bullyman, that's a great photo.

Unfortunately I have none at all of my great-great-uncle (Private 2062 Albert Bertie Goodship) who served with the 1/4th Berks and died of wounds on 20th June 1916 at Hebuterne. 

The only picture I have found that I can be pretty confident he is in is one of his entire company ('B'' company) taken whist the battalion were in training in Chelmsford in the Autumn of 1914 (which I imagine is also where your phot was taken) -  but have no idea which of the 200 or so men he is!  

If you are interested, I found it on this data CD sold by the Berkshire local history society, the contents of which reproduce the 39-part set of supplements produced by the Reading Standard shortly after the war with all their local war coverage. It is well indexed - I've just had a quick look at my copy and there is a memorial picture of your relative on page 226.  

Berkshire and the War, Second Edition (CD) – Berkshire Family History Shop (berksfhs.org)  

Edited by Poohsticks

• 8 months later...

Getting back on topic, I have located two more photographs taken at the exact same location. The first is undated but shows No 14 Platoon, D. Company, 4th Middlesex.

4th Middlesex.JPG

4th Midd.JPG

The second is of No 13 platoon, D Company, 1/5th battalion, Gloucestershire Regiment. They were part of 145th Brigade, 48th Division.

1st 5th Gloucesters.jpg

1st 5th Gloucesters - Copy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another photograph from the same location at Beauval has surfaced. This one is of 14 Platoon, 'D' Coy, 1/8th battalion Worcestershire Regiment. The vegetables drying on the wall are identical to those in the earlier 1/8th Worcestershire Regiment photograph, so it was probably also taken around 7th May 1916.

8th Worcs.JPG

8th Worcs CU.JPG

Edited by high wood
Adding information.