Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help to identify a soldier please

derekb

Good Afternoon,

I am going through some bits and pieces accumulated over the years, I have come across a WW1 trio named to;

1914 - 15 Star                 2629, PTE F. OWEN. S.LAN.REG.

Victory and War Medal;  3629. PTE F. OWEN. S.LAN.REG.

I have been unable to trace this man, does anyone have any ideas?

Derekb

Both Rolls are in the Labour Corps number 255788. Formerly 2/5th Sth Lancs 3629. Frederick owen, entered (1) 27/6/15, Dism 18/2/19

Hi Derek,

On Ancestry his medal roll records would appear to be here. They show a Labour Corps number of 355788. That number links to a pension claim index card on Fold3 which shows...

image.png.a7d46f98d8d7daea9d51cbe570018985.png
Image sourced from Fold3

Hopefully the info on the card may enable you to springboard and find some biographical/genealogical info.  

I wonder if his transfer to the Labour Corps might have been as a consequence of a medical downgrading as a result of shell shock/heart problems.

It would need more work on it to firm it up, but from a limited sample it looks like his Labour Corps service number may have been issued circa 21.8.1917. For example, service papers show 355771 Houghton; 355773 Hurst, and 355789 Melling were posted/transferred to the Western Command Labour Centre from the 4th (Reserve) Battalion, South Lancashire Regiment on that date.

Regards
Chris

Edited by clk

Hi Chris,

Thank you very much, it is starting to add up, I obtained the trio in Widnes, which is not very far from St Helens.

Regards,

Derek.

17 hours ago, clk said:

They show a Labour Corps number of 355788.

my mistake. That explains why I could not find that pension card!!

On 31/07/2021 at 21:52, clk said:

Hi Derek,

On Ancestry his medal roll records would appear to be here. They show a Labour Corps number of 355788. That number links to a pension claim index card on Fold3 which shows...

image.png.a7d46f98d8d7daea9d51cbe570018985.png
Image sourced from Fold3

Hopefully the info on the card may enable you to springboard and find some biographical/genealogical info.  

I wonder if his transfer to the Labour Corps might have been as a consequence of a medical downgrading as a result of shell shock/heart problems.

It would need more work on it to firm it up, but from a limited sample it looks like his Labour Corps service number may have been issued circa 21.8.1917. For example, service papers show 355771 Houghton; 355773 Hurst, and 355789 Melling were posted/transferred to the Western Command Labour Centre from the 4th (Reserve) Battalion, South Lancashire Regiment on that date.

Regards
Chris

Does anyone know what “Y D H” means?