Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Final Kurt von Holleben uniform to identify

Kurtbio

I am writing a biography of Dr Kurt von Holleben (1894-1947) who served in the Imperial Volunteer Automobile Corps from 1914 to 1916 and then transferred to the Saxon Army 1st Field Artillery Regiment No. 12 for the remainder of the war. He held the rank of Leutnant.

Thank you to everyone for your help in identifying the other WW1 uniforms in his photograph album - it's stopped me making some BIG mistakes in identification.

I have one last WW1 uniform photograph to identify - unfortunately this one was stuck to the album page so could not be removed - the owner did not want to damage it and so the image quality is not the greatest, but any help you can give will be appreciated.

I think I am correct in saying that the ball topped Pickelhaube spike signifies the Artillery - so could this be a dress uniform of the Saxon Army 1st Field Artillery Regiment No. 12? He looks somewhat thinner than the Automobile Corps photo of 1914 so perhaps this was taken towards, or at the end of the war.

kurt5.jpg

It's mirrored (his medals should be on the other side). Nothing unusual in the days when pics were taken using glass plaques.

It's definitely a Saxon artillery officer wearing a medal bar with an Albrecht Orden, another medal and an Iron Cross  2nd Class.

What medals did Kurt have?

Jan

It gets very complicated when there are 3 different threads about the same man...

I only now discovered there was another thread about the medals of the man.