Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Corps Telescopic Rifle School

Peter35

I have a man, crack shot and gunsmith, who was attached to 10th Corps Telescopic Rifle School in November 1915 ….. at / from Rouen. As I read the record, the Rifle School was In the Field.

Could members please advise:

i)          Exactly what the purpose / function of Telescopic Rifle Schools were

ii)         Qualifications / experience to be a ‘proper’ / regular / ‘established’ member

iii)        Any significance in men being attached to such Schools

Thanks in advance.

i) Exactly what the purpose / function of Telescopic Rifle Schools were - The training of snipers.

See here for some detail : http://www.allworldwars.com/Sniping in France by Major Hesketh-Prichard.htm

Dave

Thanks Dave.

Man in question, AG Fulton. King’s Prize: 1912, 1926, 1931.

(Father won Queen’s Prize in 1888. His son in 1958).

3 hours ago, Peter35 said:

Fulton

That seems to ring a bell regarding target shooting - Gunmaking?  Of Bisley?

:-) M

33 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

That seems to ring a bell regarding target shooting - Gunmaking?  Of Bisley?

:-) M

Here he is complete with daughter, son and archetypal Labrador dog: 

He won a silver medal at the military rifle event in the 1908 Olympics and during the war served in the 16th London Regiment, where his prior experience led to him being appointed as a battalion sniper.  He is mentioned on page 117 here: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=GxdhDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA289&lpg=PA289&dq=Sergeant+Fulton,+school+of+musketry&source=bl&ots=9s-O5W2Zu8&sig=ACfU3U3OO4T74cG_wTzr46kjRo47P2Tpmg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj7ubzr7Y3yAhXFgVwKHZAiAV0Q6AEwEHoECBIQAg#v=onepage&q=Sergeant Fulton%2C school of musketry&f=false

Edited by FROGSMILE

Matlock,

Quite correct.

The man I’m actually interested in is Armourer Sergeant George Fulton. He started the final day of shooting as a Private in his RVC and ended it as a Sergeant ….. promoted by telegram by his Colonel. Appointed Armourer Sergeant early 1898.

A wood engraver by profession, he started G E Fulton & Son ~1895. He moved to Bisley in 1905 where “the business was established in its present premises”. (https://www.fultonsofbisley.com/about-us/history/the-fulton-family  )

On his son’s 1912 win, newspapers reported “Armourer Sergeant Fulton, the father, has a branch of his business in the camp, and it was from his office that he and Mrs. Fulton were called for the purposes of being congratulated at the N.R.A. Headquarters”.

15 minutes ago, Peter35 said:

Matlock,

Quite correct.

The man I’m actually interested in is Armourer Sergeant George Fulton. He started the final day of shooting as a Private in his RVC and ended it as a Sergeant ….. promoted by telegram by his Colonel. Appointed Armourer Sergeant early 1898.

A wood engraver by profession, he started G E Fulton & Son ~1895. He moved to Bisley in 1905 where “the business was established in its present premises”. (https://www.fultonsofbisley.com/about-us/history/the-fulton-family  )

On his son’s 1912 win, newspapers reported “Armourer Sergeant Fulton, the father, has a branch of his business in the camp, and it was from his office that he and Mrs. Fulton were called for the purposes of being congratulated at the N.R.A. Headquarters”.

Are they related Peter?  You mentioned in your earlier post several generations.

Hello Frogsmile.

All related: 

Father:             Armourer Sergeant George Fulton, 13th Middlesex RVC / Queen’s Westminster Rifles

Son:                 Sergeant Arthur Fulton, Queen’s Westminster Rifles; 16th Btn London Regiment (Discharged 1916 on Termination of Engagement).

Grandson:       Major Robin Fulton, R.A. (T.A.R.O.)

1 hour ago, Peter35 said:

Hello Frogsmile.

All related: 

Father:             Armourer Sergeant George Fulton, 13th Middlesex RVC / Queen’s Westminster Rifles

Son:                 Sergeant Arthur Fulton, Queen’s Westminster Rifles; 16th Btn London Regiment (Discharged 1916 on Termination of Engagement).

Grandson:       Major Robin Fulton, R.A. (T.A.R.O.)

Thanks Peter, I thought that was the case.  I imagine that the little boy in the film I posted is probably he who became Major Robin Fulton.

Edited by FROGSMILE