Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Isaac Thompson- Royal Field Artillery

Jez

Hello 

Please could someone help? I’m trying to find out about my great uncle, William Isaac Thompson (no.62010), who served with the Royal Field Artillery as a Gunner from 1914.

I know from the 1911 Census that he was with the RFA barracks Depot No. 3 at Seaforth, so was presumably in the army from at least 1911.

I would like to find out which theatre/s of war he would have been active in with the RFA and if there is any documentation available that might help.

Many thanks in anticipation 

Jez

Have you seen his Medal Index Card -- this suggests that he was in France from the very beginning. (Image courtesy of Ancestry)

Thompson medal index card.jpg

The Medal Rolls which shows his entry for the 1914 Star records that he disembarked (i.e. left transport ship) on the 11 September 1914. (image courtesy of Ancestry)

Thompson medal rolls for 1914 Star.jpg

You can access and download the war diaries for the 2nd Brigade Royal Field Artillery from the National Archives. To do so, you would need to register with them (no cost). The image below shows what you are looking for. Currently you can download the war diaries free of charge.

2nd Brigade war diary National Archives.jpg

Thank you very much for the information. I will definitely pursue this.

Again, thank you for your help.

Jez, I should have welcomed you to the Forum at the beginning. If there is anything else to be found, I'm sure that someone will find it. I have had a quick look at the war diaries for August and early September, they are quite detailed. Good luck with your research.

Allan

Going by the way wounds were supposed to be described, I read L B F - long bone fracture (see page 2 of the register)

MaxD

Our old friend ICT I think.

"Inflammation of Connective Tissue".

A vague diagnosis that emcompassed everything from minor infections, frostbite, gangrene, arthritis etc. etc.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Thanks for deciphering the letters.

I had another go at searching and found this record of attestation in 1910 for William Isaac Thompson on FMP with a different number 1019731. His 62010 number is attributed to the 9th King’s Liverpool Regiment. The record mentions his wife and children also being a musician. On the 1911 cencus, as you mentioned, he is with the RFA and keeps his 62010 number until being renumbered later. Hopefully someone with a better knowledge of the RFA will be able to add to this.

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBM%2FROYALART%2F41248

Edited by Woodnbits
Typo

The RA Attestion record you are looking at with the number 1019731 is for his re-enlistment in 1919 until 1923.  It does show his previous number of 62010 and service with 9 Kings. It also shows his enlistment in 1940 to the Auxiliary Military Pioneer Corps. 

MaxD 

Thank you Chris. That confirms his dob. Would the attestation forms mentioned by Woodnbits and MaxD give an address?

Regards

Jez

Hi Jez,

If we've been looking at the same things, I don't think that there is an address given. You might get one from his actual original attestation form (or subsequent documents) in his service file, but that would cost £30, and involve a very long wait.

On 01/08/2021 at 12:46, MaxD said:

It also shows his enlistment in 1940 to the Auxiliary Military Pioneer Corps

I think that may relate to the man listed below him in the register, but it wouldn't be the first time that I've been wrong.

Did you pick up from the medical record that at some unknown date by the tail end of the war, he seems to have been transferred and serving with 20 Divisional Ammunition Column?

Regards
Chris