Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Request for information on George Knight Young, 10th Bn Royal Fusiliers, KIA May 4, 1916

johntaylor

Hi, I'm trying to find more information about Private No. 293 George Knight Young who was killed in action on May 4, 1916, while serving with 10th Battalion Royal Fusiliers. I've checked all the usual sources, and the CWGC shows he was buried in Berles-au-Bois Churchyard Extension, France. There have been previous mentions of him on GWF as he was evidently a gifted singer and performed in the the 37th Div concert troupe called the Barn Owls. There is also a photo of him on the Lives of the Great War website.

The interesting thing is that a book called "The Life and Letters of George Knight Young, Singer and Soldier in the First World War" was published by his sister Florence E. Cole in 1978, and I'm wondering if anyone might have access to a copy of this please? It seems to be pretty rare as there are very few mentions online - the IWM have a copy but there are no library slots available before September, which is frustrating to say the least.

The reason for my interest is that I'm researching the WWI service of men (including George Knight Young) who lived in a road called Winsham Grove in Clapham, South West London. Therefore the book could be a real godsend, and I'd be grateful to hear from anyone who has access to a copy.

With many thanks,

John

Thanks very much for finding this Travers. It's very tempting, but being of a nervous disposition, I'm reluctant to trust this site with too much personal information - especially as they may be in breach of copyright. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has used the site. 

All the best, John

Yes agree its tempting, but copyright is not always a clear issue.

The only other copy I found in a library was Stanford University in California, a long way to go for one book.

Edited by travers61

I agree - this one doesn't even show up in the British Library catalogue which is very unusual. Fortunately the IWM does have a copy but it means waiting more than a month for the next library slot. I guess I'll just have to wait, unless I decide to trust the e-bookdownload site with my personal details.

All rather frustrating, but thanks again for your help,

John