Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

206485 Albert Baker, K.I.A. 20/7/1917, attached to the 126th Brigade. A.F.A.

Brian J Owen

206485 Albert Baker, K.I.A. 20/7/1917, attached to the 126th Brigade. A.F.A. on his pension records it mentioned Royal Field Artillery 136th BAC , but I am unable to find any reference to this unit?  did he join the 126th A.F.A. prior to them leaving for France in June 1917? 

a.baker 206485.PNG

The Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929 also gives 126th B.A.C. and there was no 136th Brigade or Ammunition Column in the RFA. He was posted to 8th Reserve Brigade RHA on January 15, 1917 which provided reserves to the Territorial RHA. In addition, he would have been in the AVC TF prior to transfer. It is quite possible he went to France with the (new) 126th as his death is so soon after that. It was mostly composed of men from the RHA TF.

This clipping, courtesy FindmyPast, nicely confirms his AVC and RHA background as identified by David porter. In the Daily Casualty List he is also reported killed under RHA rather than RFA. Article also shows he was only in France a month before his death.

1734938160_GWFBakerAGRHAObit.JPG.9216c2b1c72d31577bf242ca9551c4e8.JPG

The press article mentions he was killed with others. Here is the Grave Registration Report from CWGC. Clearly 126 Bde Amunition Column.

242212369_GWFBakerAGRHACWGC.JPG.b73bd8eccc15d5ae1474d4ec8ecd8a19.JPG

Thank you for jogging my memory Charlie, the latter posts in this thread completes the circle.

Thank you both for the information, brilliant photo, there was another gentleman killed with him, 206440 John G Haynes, they  have in common 206.... one being 440 for Haynes and 485 for Baker, are they or were they from the same parent regiment ? thanks again 

Haynes and Baker were in the same block transfer from AVC to RHA on January 15, 1917. However, I think Haynes came from East Anglian AVC and Baker from Home Counties AVC. 216729 Ambrose Fisher also joined 8th Reserve Brigade RHA at Bulford, but sometime in March 1917. There are quite a few men who are transferred to 126th Brigade RFA at Larkhill on May 23, 1917. I can give you a list if you are interested.

Yes please that would be brilliant, really appreciate that. Although you found me the location where the indecent took place and  I can find certain small pieces about the local men in our local paper, other than the list of men killed in action and mentioned being wounded I have no idea who else was in the Battery.  The photo of the battery I put on the forum previously must have been taken just prior to them leaving for France in 1917, I have found one of the Smith brothers in the photo and now I shall be looking for Baker. You were correct reference Haynes  somewhere in my files  I am sure there is  reference to Cambridge. once again thank you for assistance