Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help required to identify these allied aircraft

Stereoview Paul

TI0820.jpg.e6b0f2f030df0c458cc446ac5c2d5f43.jpg

It has been suggested that they are Sopwith Dolphins, but the shape of the wing as it passes over the cockpit looks different and the propeller looks more swept? Image is from a Realistic Travels stereoview. Thanks Paul

Thank you - I should have thought about snipes as there is a very common stereoview showing a close up of a Snipe but called a Camel!

TI1084.jpg

You probably know this already, but that particular plane is from the 43rd Squadron (FightingCocks) and is featured in good old Wiki😁

That's right - I think of all of the RT cards featuring aircraft only two have an accurate description!

2 hours ago, Knotty said:

You probably know this already, but that particular plane is from the 43rd Squadron (FightingCocks) and is featured in good old Wiki😁

This was taken when 43 Sqdn were at Beckendorff in Germany in 1918-19. I did know the identity of the pilot, but a long search  of my files would be needed.   

1 hour ago, alex revell said:

I did know the identity of the pilot

I believe it to be Lieutenant Edward Mulcair of 'A' Flight, No. 43 Squadron , please feel free to shoot me down😁

Knotty

This photo was so instantly familiar to me that I felt sure it was from the album of R B Mumford who served in 1 and 43 Squadrons. However, I found Mumford's photos - not looked at for forty odd years -  and it isn't there, so memory - mine in particular -  is fallible.  M's  photos of the 43 Sqdn Snipes were taken mostly at Senlis in Oct 1918 and Cologne in 1919. Unfortunately nearly all of the 60 odd photos are of poor quality.  I've looked through all my books on the Snipe and failed to find the photo, so I am now puzzled as to why it is so familiar. If in reflection it comes back to me, I'll let you know. Incidentally, why do you think it is Mulcair?

Hi Alex,

It really was a common stereoview, appearing in virtually every Realistic Travels set and as such is regularly seen for sale. There is just one on EBay at present but often there are a few; common enough to be only worth £10 at present, most of the other aircraft cards are much rarer.

1 hour ago, alex revell said:

Incidentally, why do you think it is Mulcair?

That’s who is mentioned in the picture via The Aerodrome Forum and a couple of other references😁

The same photo is in Jeremy Beedle's 43 Squadron The History of the Fighting Cocks 1016-66. Beaumont Aviation Literature 1966.  The name of the pilot is not given.   I'm still sure that this is not where I first saw the photo. Still working on that because I am sure that it gave the pilot's name. 

2 hours ago, alex revell said:

The same photo is in Jeremy Beedle's 43 Squadron The History of the Fighting Cocks 1016-66. Beaumont Aviation Literature 1966.  The name of the pilot is not given.   I'm still sure that this is not where I first saw the photo. Still working on that because I am sure that it gave the pilot's name. 

Hi

This photo appears in Windsock Datafile 46 'Sopwith Snipe' by Bruce page 2 and the Osprey 'Dolphin and Snipe Aces of World War 1' by Franks, the text with the images both mention Mulcair being associated with E8015, strictly speaking they do not say this is Mulcair but this appears to be implied.

Mike