Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1917 Mauser G98

Mickster

Mauser G98 1917 dated with Mauser bayonet same manufacturer & date,

All matching metal work other than the bolt. These guys serialised virtually all parts. If the part was too small they used the last two numerals.

The wood work has a different number. I love the rollercoaster sights but imagine the may be a little vulnerable to damage

Longer than the SMLE but somehow a lovely balanced rifle with a fairly hefty delivery of 7.91mm of Spitzer Round.

DSC05389.JPG

DSC05390.JPG

DSC05391.JPG

DSC05392.JPG

DSC05394.JPG

DSC05395.JPG

DSC05396.JPG

DSC05397.JPG

DSC05398.JPG

DSC05401.JPG

DSC05402.JPG

DSC05403.JPG

DSC05405.JPG

DSC05406.JPG

DSC05407.JPG

DSC05408.JPG

DSC05409.JPG

DSC05410.JPG

Nice looking rifle. Is there a unit on the butt plate? Have you had a chance to “ PLAY” with it? Take to a range?  Almost all of us shooters fall into 2 groups. A steady aim and above average shot.     And then the rest of us. I like to think my shooting just makes other shooters feel better about their marksmanship.

P.S., if you look around, there are scabbards also made be Mauser Werk and stamped near the top of scabbards with same logo: stamping.   Nice touch with the clip and ammo.        
steve

2 minutes ago, Steve1871 said:

Nice looking rifle. Is there a unit on the butt plate? Have you had a chance to “ PLAY” with it? Take to a range?  Almost all of us shooters fall into 2 groups. A steady aim and above average shot.     And then the rest of us. I like to think my shooting just makes other shooters feel better about their marksmanship.

P.S., if you look around, there are scabbards also made be Mauser Werk and stamped near the top of scabbards with same logo: stamping.   Nice touch with the clip and ammo.        
steve

I would love to have a Mauser scabbard Steve. Ive never seen a scabbard offered without being accompanied with the bayo though . Im in UK. No unit markings at all. Just two impreial stampings and what looks like a poorly struck  Kaiser bust on the butt disc

The thing on the stock disc is an acceptance stamp, sometimes worn or poorly struck. It would be a small crown over a script or gothic letter. Lot of times, the letters are hard to read, lot of time is simply a shape/ outline of the letter for us collectors to argue on what letter it is. Your stamp is normal. Thanks for posting

You could edit your post to add a photo or two with the bayonet mounted to round it off!

Cheers Steve, I shall mount the bayonet today and get a couple of photos posted.

Below the two serial numbers on both barrel & breach matrix there is a squiggle. Is that a Gothic letter and do you know what it means please ?

Mickster

Looks like a nice rig, the buttstock normally should have a identical number, possible the scabbard was too inventory marked, Mauser has ordered the bayonet production by other firm even they are marked so. 

Thanks Andy. Its one of my favourite rifles. Yes the butt serial match the others. The scabbard has no markings other than a tiny bust stamp on the nipple final.

Mickster

The buttstock picture with lower sling circle looks like different number? ?381,  same as the bottom of magazine house is different serial. 47 instead of 21 so mostly some parts are there mixed. 

Yes Andy the woodwork has a different number (beautiful wood) but close to the retaining screw on the magazine floor plate it has the full serial number 4921,,even the screw has 21 stamped in. What would you say the 47 denotes ?

Ah, I see Andy the floor plate and housing are two separate parts, not one unit. The floor plate is therefore unmatched,

Mickster

Edited by Mickster

The buttstock has different number same as different proof letter, so the both parts are missmatch, even You found a unit it would be not correspond for all parts, the mentioned sn 4921 is of magazine body not of buttstock. Anyway its a nice shooter and piece of history.