Remembered Today:

Charles HUSSEY Dvr 37497 RFA

SGM Hussey

Can anyone help with how and where my great uncle died 

Charles Henry Hussey  37497

23rd Bty R.F.A 

Died 11 April 1918

Buried Longuenesse (st omer) cemetery

I would suggest you change the title of the thread from your own name to e.g. Charles Henry HUSSEY, Dvr., 37497 RFA

• ss002d6252 changed the title to Charles HUSSEY Dvr 37497 RFA

No 7 General Hospital was at St Omer at the time so you'd need to look at the diary earlier than 11 April 1918 in the hope of finding his name as wounded.  My guess would be the period from 21 March, the start of the German offensive.  A quick look suggests the brigade was deployed south east of Arras at the time.

MaxD

Hi SGM Hussey,

Welcome to the Forum.

It will probably tell you very little, but a black and white scan of what was accepted as being his Will is available for a small fee from here.

Regards
Chris

Hi Gentlemen

Many thanks for your help 

Managed to narrow his fate down to 1st battle of the somme at Arras and Bapaume between 23rd to 28th March 1918 given the proximity to 7th general hospital where he died of his wounds 

Still trying to source more details but thank you again for your help

The HQRA 3 Div diary Headquarters Branches and Services: Commander Royal Artillery. | The National Archives WO95/1394/1 has good detail of the period, better than the brigade diary, that was my source for suggesting the 21 Mar onward time frame.  The diary has battery locations for a number of days in late March

MaxD

Edited by MaxD

The will provided me with another great uncle's name and number as Charles only made his wishes known by a letter sent to his brother xmas 1916

Got a lot about his unit movements from forces records which narrowed down the dates for me 

Thanks to you all

Bill

Hi Bill,

10 hours ago, SGM Hussey said:

The will provided me with another great uncle's name and number as Charles only made his wishes known by a letter sent to his brother xmas 1916

That's a bit of a result then.

The very best of wishes for your ongoing research.

Regards
Chris