Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The most dangerous military assignments in WWI?

LeCauroy

Interested in your thoughts.

What were the top five most dangerous roles in the military one could play in the Great War?

My pick Stretcher bearers seem like they might be near the top of the list.

How dangerous was it to be a stretcher bearer compared to other roles? Were they volunteers?  What was the probability of a stretcher-bearer dying? 

The Aug 1917 74th Infantry Brigade memo below reports that they lost 43 out of 48 stetcher-bearers. 

Out in the open, moving slowly, weighed down, restricted in movement and no way of defending yourself, it seems like the odds of survival must have been very low. 

22B8DE37-F535-4006-A347-85FF43D9FE32.jpeg.f8914c423c91f4ba71f149cfeeae0299.jpeg406769C8-4B63-472C-B6F5-EA71A610B612.jpeg.d6cdd2f18c8569d5ccfa46e89cc2a38e.jpeg5FFC5AC2-8AB2-4CE2-9DE5-8D39D7F692A8.jpeg.00eda103a97845b949890770a30cbc2e.jpegB4AC9801-1BB8-4ECB-B1F6-B0CB5FFBD166.jpeg.8721cebe53f4299bb4af6662949ce43b.jpeg

Infantry 2Lts leading a platoon is also very unhealthy in the British army

aircrew lots of crashes and combat no parachutes except the Germans and Austrians late in the war.

German U-boat crews

German airship crews

Thanks James, 

I was wondering about planes. Am I right in thinking that effective parachutes weren’t invented until later in the war?

I am also wondering why being an officer on the front line was more dangerous than being a private in a trench. Am I correct in thinking that their moving around a lot opens them up to being more of a target

2 hours ago, James A Pratt III said:

Infantry 2Lts leading a platoon is also very unhealthy in the British army

aircrew lots of crashes and combat no parachutes except the Germans and Austrians late in the war.

German U-boat crews

German airship crews

I believe the officers led the troops from the front, so were first up over the trenches - making them early targets.

Ok That makes sense. Thanks

At the risk of broadening the debate but I suggest; French line infantry in 1914, casualty rates and absolute numbers far dwarf eg 1 July 1916.

Trench raiding and patrols in No Mans Land.

Whether in top 5 or top ten or top twenty I don't know (nor wish to rank them)

What about Signallers/linesmen ?  Inevitably lines get cut during shelling thus have to be repaired under shellfire. Quite a few MMs awarded and lots (cannot quantify) of casualties.

Then there are the Tunnellers... etc

• Admin
On 29/07/2021 at 00:26, LeCauroy said:

What were the top five most dangerous roles in the military one could play in the Great War?

How dangerous was it to be a stretcher bearer compared to other roles? Were they volunteers?  What was the probability of a stretcher-bearer dying? 

The Aug 1917 74th Infantry Brigade memo below reports that they lost 43 out of 48 stetcher-bearers. 

Out in the open, moving slowly, weighed down, restricted in movement and no way of defending yourself, it seems like the odds of survival must have been very low. 

5FFC5AC2-8AB2-4CE2-9DE5-8D39D7F692A8.jpeg.00eda103a97845b949890770a30cbc2e.jpeg

The above quote, which did not originally include stretcher bearers but is a reference to the 'six week subaltern',

has been discussed a number of times on the forum - perhaps you would care to give an attribution - it's generally accepted it was first declared by Robert Graves.

It's veracity depends where and when.

To initially avoid the question and go for dangerous scenario, rather than dangerous role. after seeing the comment about being with the French in 1914, disembarkation with the Munsters or the Dubliners, disembarking the SS River Clyde at "V" Beach.

As for roles, I would imagine being a linesman was dangerous, based on Frank Richards's memoirs. I would think that stretcher bearers and runners are pretty high on the dangerous list.

On 29/07/2021 at 16:33, johntanner said:

At the risk of broadening the debate but I suggest; French line infantry in 1914, casualty rates and absolute numbers far dwarf eg 1 July 1916.

Sorry for the late reply johntanner. After you suggested that, I started searching for more information on French casualties in WWI and came

upon this France 24 interview (English edition) with the historian Jean Michael Steg with the title August 22, 1914: The Bloodiest Day in French Military History.

https://www.france24.com/en/20140822-august-22-1914-battle-frontiers-bloodiest-day-french-military-history

On 30/07/2021 at 12:36, kenf48 said:

Sorry for the late reply kenf48. I didn't post that as a position I was taking, just as a point to consider. But you are right, I should have given an attribution 

and clarified that it didn't reference stretcher bearers. As a beginner in researching WWI, I didn't realize that I was stepping into a Great War Forum hornets nest when I brought up the "Six Week" claim. A friendly and knowledgeable veteran member privately messaged me the day I posted it and filled me in on how false the number was, pointing me to better sources and previous threads on the debate.

From now on, I will be more careful to clarify whatever I post and give source attribution. Mea Culpa. : )  I am glad that there are GWF members who have higher standards of intellectual discussion and require evidence and sources rather than baseless claims. Makes me think this is a place where I can really learn something. 

On 30/07/2021 at 12:36, kenf48 said:

The above quote, which did not originally include stretcher bearers but is a reference to the 'six week subaltern',

has been discussed a number of times on the forum - perhaps you would care to give an attribution - it's generally accepted it was first declared by Robert Graves.

It's veracity depends where and when.

On 30/07/2021 at 04:13, MikB said:

Trench raiding and patrols in No Mans Land.

Thanks MikB, I intend to read up on that.

On 30/07/2021 at 12:19, charlie962 said:

Whether in top 5 or top ten or top twenty I don't know (nor wish to rank them)

What about Signallers/linesmen ?  Inevitably lines get cut during shelling thus have to be repaired under shellfire. Quite a few MMs awarded and lots (cannot quantify) of casualties.

Then there are the Tunnellers... etc

Those jobs didn't occur to me. Thanks charlie962. I have got more reading to do. 

On 30/07/2021 at 12:39, Keith_history_buff said:

To initially avoid the question and go for dangerous scenario, rather than dangerous role. after seeing the comment about being with the French in 1914, disembarkation with the Munsters or the Dubliners, disembarking the SS River Clyde at "V" Beach.

As for roles, I would imagine being a linesman was dangerous, based on Frank Richards's memoirs. I would think that stretcher bearers and runners are pretty high on the dangerous list.

Thanks Keith, I will check that book out. Old Soldiers Never Die. From what I read, it is widely praised as one of the best on trench warfare. Another title to add to my growing list. 

On 29/07/2021 at 00:26, LeCauroy said:

5FFC5AC2-8AB2-4CE2-9DE5-8D39D7F692A8.jpeg.00eda103a97845b949890770a30cbc2e.jpeg

Given your expression of interest in the experience of stretcher bearers I thought you might be interested to read this academic study of the British and Dominion experience over the course of the war.  In particular it reflects on the inadequacies (and the causes) early on and then examines how the system evolved.  I thought it very illuminating and hope that you do too.  See: http://unsworks.unsw.edu.au/fapi/datastream/unsworks:36833/SOURCE02?view=true

Edited by FROGSMILE

6 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Given your expression of interest in the experience of stretcher bearers I thought you might be interested to read this academic study of the British and Dominion experience over the course of the war.  In particular it reflects on the inadequacies (and the causes) early on and then examines how the system evolved.  I thought it very illuminating and hope that you do too.  See: http://unsworks.unsw.edu.au/fapi/datastream/unsworks:36833/SOURCE02?view=true

Thanks, I will check it out

55 minutes ago, LeCauroy said:

It refers to the high casualty rates, just as you surmised, and is worth the read given your forebear’s connection.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, LeCauroy said:

54 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

It refers to the high casualty rates, just as you surmised, and is worth the read given your forebear’s connection.

Thank you sir

Trench Mortar Batteries were known as "suicide clubs", since they tended to be in or very close the the front line and, once their position was identified, they became immediate targets for enemy artillery.

Incidentally, infantry stretcher bearers were normally provided by the battalion's bandsmen. I believe that the same applies in the British Army today.

Ron

Edited by Ron Clifton

Infantry Bombing sections were also known as "suicide clubs".

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/08/2021 at 13:06, Ron Clifton said:

Trench Mortar Batteries were known as "suicide clubs", since they tended to be in or very close the the front line and, once their position was identified, they became immediate targets for enemy artillery.

Incidentally, infantry stretcher bearers were normally provided by the battalion's bandsmen. I believe that the same applies in the British Army today.

Ron

Ron,

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the info. Fascinating

On 03/08/2021 at 16:14, squirrel said:

Squirrel,

Good piece of information. Thanks!

• Admin
On 03/08/2021 at 21:14, squirrel said:

As was the entire MGC