Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

small village affected by the war

Augustin

Augustin

The numbers on the aerial photo are the coordinates.
So if you find an aerial photo and you don't know from where you just have to enter the coordinates on tmapper and you get a fairly exact location. I don't know if you can find other aerial photos with that.

Arne

Edited by Arne Vandendriessche

Eecke was on map sheet 27 SE                                                                                                                                                                                                    http://lt1.mcmaster.ca/ww1/wrz4mp.php?grid=27
Here you will find a lot of maps and aerial photos of sheet 27.
Now if you type: control F(ind) and then you type: 27a SE you will find some cards. There are also a lot of aerial photos and maybe there are some where Eecke is located.

Arne

what a coincidence,
I was just going to tell you that you might find some things there.:lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Augustin changed the title to small village affected by the war
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone have a map of this location please? the place is a little below the poplar between Caestre and Hazebrouck
we seem to see a kind of camp.                               Augustin.

485058685_tlchargement(1).png.8f008abccf9620448b79527a889f08ff.png

Hi Augustin, I looked at 9 or 10 maps and all showed it just like yours except this Australian one from April 1918.  The 1915 maps show nothing here.  Courtesy IWM / WFA.

image.png.10ec2e5b4962609e0921c7e0e6cfed5c.png

@Augustin

Since there are several branches, it is probably a storage place or a place where things were loaded and unloaded. @WhiteStarLine nice card, I'm interested in Hazebrouck A. Dump and also in that pickaxe with that shovel that is on the bottom left of that card. Do you know anything more about this?

Arne

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2021 at 1:13 PM, WhiteStarLine said:

Hi Augustin, I looked at 9 or 10 maps and all showed it just like yours except this Australian one from April 1918.  The 1915 maps show nothing here.  Courtesy IWM / WFA.

image.png.10ec2e5b4962609e0921c7e0e6cfed5c.png

would you have the map link please?

• 5 months later...

@ mébuCould you please send me the link to the maps, as well as your sources of information for Pallid Farm, it would be very helpful, I would really appreciate it, thanks.

The 3rd Canadian Tunnelling Company diary for July 1918 has the information on Pallid farm and other works I have advised you of some time ago. 

The National Archives reference is WO 95/336-9. The diary is very faint but can be read. Let me know if you have a problem reading it.

PS I have copied and marked the references, attached.

pallida.jpg

pallidb.jpg

pallid farm_0001.jpg

It would be interesting to find the diary of the 9th scottish to see if they occupied their intended place at Pallid Farm.

On 7/28/2021 at 12:49 PM, WhiteStarLine said:

Here is one from the Australian 1st Division from April 1918.  They were at Caestre with the 32nd Chasseurs W and NW of Eecke and the 133rd French Division S ouf Eecke.  Map extract courtesy of IWM / WFA.

image.png.232c33962839e9fad075272d20064333.png

@WhiteStarLine you send me the link to the map? please.

23 minutes ago, Augustin said:

you send me the link to the map? please.

Sure, will PM you with a link.

@mebu, is this it still standing?  Click to enlarge and you can see a grey structure at the rear of the farm.

image.png.a1ed8c158d9954f21c949c6dd0f91ad5.png

would you have the link to these cards please?

On 7/29/2021 at 4:45 PM, mebu said:

here is a map showing the locations of the works of the 3rd Can Tun Coy (on a map from the Australian archives) .

Most, such that at as Butterfly Farm, seem to have disappeared. If you find them, let me know.

Peter 

PS may I ask why you need the information? Is it a local history project, a book or article? 

eecke map.jpg

On 7/30/2021 at 6:01 PM, mebu said:

Found another map with trenches in the area (summer 1918).

If you do find anything interesting in the area, many people on this forum would be happy for it to be shown.

Peter

eecke 3.jpg

I'm not sure what you mean or what you are asking for. You have the 2 maps above.

You still haven't answered the question above - the information you keep asking for, is it for a book, article, or local history project?

Peter