Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

small village affected by the war

Augustin

I am looking for plans of trenches or photographs and all kinds of documents and information on Eecke in the North of France
Are there any maps showing this position please. Thank you. Augustin

Hi Augustin,

Welcome to the forum.

The National Library of Scotland has a May 1918 trench map of Eecke showing the Eecke Line and the West Caestre Line and Borre Switch near Caestre.

Quickest way of viewing these is to open tmapper.com and search on Eecke.  Select the town itself from the list and probably change the trench map opacity while you are there.

image.png.2a0a8392da458ab2014be066b1ed7888.png

Thank you very much I am still looking for othern possible eecke card. Augustin

Edited by Augustin

Here is one from the Australian 1st Division from April 1918.  They were at Caestre with the 32nd Chasseurs W and NW of Eecke and the 133rd French Division S ouf Eecke.  Map extract courtesy of IWM / WFA.

image.png.232c33962839e9fad075272d20064333.png

There is an Arques pattern pre-cast concrete machine gun pill box at the location marked (built into the now derelict farm barn named Pallid Farm by the British, on Rue de Bois Blanc) built by the 3rd Canadian Tunneling company. Marked on the map.

I would appreciate a recent photograph if you visit.

Also, 2 others (also Canadian Tunnelers) marked on the edge of the map.

Peter

Peter  

eeke_LI.jpg

Thank you very much for this information I send you a current photo of the place thank

. Did you have a card with the name of the farm i am always open to other information thank you

2108319947_PhotoblockhausEECKE2021.jpg.2b1765dc4d1c106df970cf4e0d639720.jpg

Edited by Augustin

here is a map showing the locations of the works of the 3rd Can Tun Coy (on a map from the Australian archives) .

Most, such that at as Butterfly Farm, seem to have disappeared. If you find them, let me know.

Peter 

PS may I ask why you need the information? Is it a local history project, a book or article? 

eecke map.jpg

Edited by mebu
PS

Thank you for the card i am interested in the local history of eecke i live there and i am interested in the history of my village during the first world war. Thank you.

Augustin.

Found another map with trenches in the area (summer 1918).

If you do find anything interesting in the area, many people on this forum would be happy for it to be shown.

Peter

eecke 3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Augustin

maybe there was a HQ (Head Quarter) or a camp a cantonment not indicated on the military map

Edited by Augustin

• Augustin changed the title to Eecke

I also found this aerial photograph where you can see I bertenacre (military cemetery) you can see a number (of photograph ?) on the top left maybe this number can help us and lead to another number on another map ?

image.png.dd9e8acd30fb53fd9e7ae1d6afb73251.pngimage.png.b6792a711962255bdc822ebcabe7e6a6.png

1 hour ago, Augustin said:

on the top left maybe this number can help us and lead to another number on another map

Augustin, that is a great find.  Now we can see the craters and trenches and change the opacity to see them on the modern map.  The information on the top left tells us that this aerial photo was taken on 30 June 1918 and it covers from Sheet 27.Q.22 to Q.23 and (illegible) but possibly Q.28 and Q.29.

You can follow the craters and trenches south of the military cemetery and see where the light rail ran with the opacity slider.  Now available at GeoRef or paste in http://mapcrop.tmapper.com/georef.html?id=ksud3ot9.

image.png.863e92b746a8784b1a8b5a21b3268d87.png 

image.png.68ec060bac1aa1b47b060274bc5d532d.png

here's another one just below the bertenacre it's the "thieusouck" there's also a number on the bottom right I hope it helps to find othersImage1.png.a016b26b5387285a2ceea3721faa3c50.png

Augustin,

Is "Pallid Farm" from your other post visible in the aerial view?
If so, you better post it on that thread.

Arne

unfortunately there is no photo of this place to my knowledge but I am looking for photos of this place linked to the photo number that I have already put, the original photo must surely be at the scale of the village but it has probably been cut into small fragments of photos I do not know where to find the rest of the photos