Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Grant

Mangoman

My great uncle's parents received a War Grant of £3.0s.0d in 1919 following their son losing his life in 1915. What was the War Grant and, who received it and how was it calculated?

The war gratuity was a payment made to all soldiers in respect of length of war time service. The soldiers effects register just shows the payments (in the most part) made to the next of kin of a man who died before it was paid out.

The actual payment minimum was £5. For various reasons the other £2 in this case had already been paid as a 'service gratuity', a different payment, and then offset against the £5 payment to give the balance due of £3.

In basic terms there was a minimum amount for each rank (£5 for a Private) and then this was increased by 10s for each additional month of war time service past 12 months.

Craig

Thank you ss002d6252 for your reply - much appreciated. Did this War Grant vary dependent upon whether the man was single or had a wife and family? My great uncle was a single man and served in Flanders for 3 months before being k.i.a. 

9 minutes ago, Mangoman said:

Did this War Grant vary dependent upon whether the man was single or had a wife and family?

No.

Craig