Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

67th Siege Battery, RGA

Teresa2167

Hello everyone 

I'm needing help, I'm searching for a family member we have only just found out about him and im lost on where to start.

The only thing I have is his service was 6127 ,the date of his death 4/11/1916 and the unit that he belonged to 67th rga. I have tried but I can't find a photo of this unit or him and it would make my family extremely happy.

If anyone is able to help I would truly appreciate it 

34 minutes ago, Teresa2167 said:

Hello everyone 

I'm needing help, I'm searching for a family member we have only just found out about him and im lost on where to start.

The only thing I have is his service was 6127 ,the date of his death 4/11/1916 and the unit that he belonged to 67th rga. I have tried but I can't find a photo of this unit or him and it would make my family extremely happy.

If anyone is able to help I would truly appreciate it 

What is his name ?

Craig

Courtesy FindmyPast Newspapers:

213081137_GWFKeirJSRGAObit.JPG.793b98823f6a35efe7c858fb5f26e05c.JPG

There are further mentions in local papers, incl noting he left a widow and son- that he never saw. I see his brother David, also of the RGA, was gassed in the German Spring offensive launched March 1918.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

For Teresa:  In addition to what my learned colleagues have said, if he was RGA and killed by enemy “shellfire” then it seems quite likely that he became a casualty during a “counter battery fire” engagement.  
Both sides heavy artillery regularly sought out their counterparts on the opposing side before during and after major offensives and the methodology used became increasingly accurate and effective as the war progressed and technical advances were achieved.  There were also cases of luck where a likely area was engaged with searching fire and batteries targeted by surprise.  Many artillery casualties on both sides came about from both these types of engagement.  Sometimes counter battery duels were going on simultaneously with both sides guns manned and frantically firing at each other unseen other than from detonations landing in and around their own positions.  On other occasions men might be resting on their gun positions carrying out routine tasks, or even eating when completely unexpectedly, in comes enemy fire.  You can perhaps imagine the outcome.  In one circumstance men had to continue firing regardless, in another they might just take cover briefly and in others they might have to attempt to move their guns whilst under fire with all that that entailed.  Things could vary considerably.  For heavy guns (howitzers) firing see: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0MIc6ApsIWs 

1115CF50-7BCD-4457-97F6-A37EA71FA575.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

• RussT changed the title to 67th Siege Battery, RGA

War diary for 67 Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery is here at the National Archives.  Can be downloaded free of charge at present, you just have to register.Army Troops. 67 Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery. 76 Siege Battery Royal Garrison... | The National Archives

BUT the diary keeping in that battery was not very good.  The whole of November 1916 is covered in 3 lines with no mention of incoming artillery fire or of casualties.  BUT, as Frogsmile describes, counter battery fire was going on all the time on both sides and very often doesn't get a mention in war diaries at all.

In November the battery was located about half way between Bazetin le Petit and Longueval.  The cemetery in which he is buried is very near to the battery location. which was in the lower right hand quadrant of the square marked 10 on the map at:

Side by side georeferenced maps viewer - Map images - National Library of Scotland (nls.uk)

The battery was equipped with 4, later 6, 8 inch Howitzers among the biggest of the big guns.  A net search on 8 in Howitzer WW1 will find pictures. Look for the Mark VI which the battery received in September 1916

MaxD

Edited by MaxD

Hi,

For a small fee you could get a B&W copy of what was accepted as being his Will. It will probably tell you very little though. Link.

If you would link an image of his resting place, it looks like British War Graves would be able to send you one on a free of charge basis. Link

If you have access to Ancestry, his medal roll record is here; his Medal Index Card here; his Soldiers Effects record here; and a transcription of Soldiers Died here

Fold3 has a widows pension claim index card:

image.png.71e9f0d880ea5ebc6a1b029ea42c57b8.png
Image sourced from Fold3

Wiki says '67th Siege Battery was formed under War Office Instruction 144 of October 1915 from one company of the North Scottish RGA (TF)'. I guess that the company referred to was #3, which was based in Broughty Ferry.

The unit allocation for the Battery shows:

image.png.848cf2407118f828c0629c0c3ecbef16.png
Image sourced from the National Archives

Unfortunately, for the date of his death the Brigade/Heavy Artillery Group war diary is missing.

Looking at his 2167 service number, it would appear that John was a prewar territorial. Whilst his service papers don't seem to have survived, there are some for a few 'near number' men of 3 Company, North Scottish RGA which show:

2160 Anton - attested 11.3.1914
2163 Hackett - attested 25.3.1914
2164 Dobbin - attested 2.4.1914
2165 Cooper - attested 2.4.1914
2175 Smith - attested 15.6.1914
2195 Young - attested 19.9.1914

Regards

Chris

On 26/07/2021 at 23:47, charlie962 said:

Courtesy FindmyPast Newspapers:

213081137_GWFKeirJSRGAObit.JPG.793b98823f6a35efe7c858fb5f26e05c.JPG

There are further mentions in local papers, incl noting he left a widow and son- that he never saw. I see his brother David, also of the RGA, was gassed in the German Spring offensive launched March 1918.

Charlie

I have tried to search for his brother's name with no luck how did you find out how amazing 

5 hours ago, Teresa2167 said:

I have tried to search for his brother's name with no luck

courtesy findmypast once more:

142411769_GWFKeirJSRGABroDavidGassed.JPG.037ca138b8ae1bd60bb1727ecad826f7.JPG

1197683828_GWFKeirJSRGABroDavidGassed2.JPG.dd20b56fe03ff65cf0ead7018e34a17a.JPG

Shamelessly following up on Charie's find, we have David Ferrier Keir, No 138315 of 254 Siege Battery RGA on the medal rolls.  He has a second 7 digit number 1660349 which indicates he served on beyond 1920 and therefore his service record will still be with the Ministry of Defence. His medal card is here:

Medal card of Keir, David F Corps: Royal Garrison Artillery Regiment No: ... | The National Archives (the roll (Ancestry) confrims his middle name) Ancestry.co.uk - UK, World War I Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920

254 Siege is the battery he started and ended the war with but we don't know when he joined..  254 Siege went to France on 3 Feb 1917 equipped with 6 inch ( 26 cwt) Howitzers (still big guns but slightly smaller that the ones his brother served with.)  254 Siege doesn't have an individual  war diary, their actvities are recorded in the diaries of the Heavy Artillery Groups they belonged to.  If we assume his gassing was near to the newspaper date of 5 Apr 198, the diary of 1 HAG is the one that covers that time.  That can be downloaded free at present  here: Army Troops: 1 Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery | The National Archives although he is unlikley to be mentioned by name.  His name is among a number of members of 254 Siege recorded as gassed and sent to hospital on 21 Mar 1918.  This was the first day of the massive German offensive Operation Michael and gas and shell attacks on our artillery were one of the preludes to the ground attacks 

He didn't go to France until, others cleverer than I may be able to suggest an enlistment date from his first number.

MaxD

Edited by MaxD

Chris's find shows his service dates in France in WW1, 4 Feb 1917 to 8 Jan 1919 which cross checks with the battery leaving for France on 3 Feb 1917.  It also records that he had served in the RGA since 17 March 1909 and it would be legitimate to suggest that he was in the North Scottish RGA all that time given the places of birth of his children .  It would appear that he re-joined into  one of the batteries of the North Scottish RGA in May 1920 serving for a year. North Scottish Royal Garrison Artillery - Wikipedia.

Note the reference to 254 Battery in the mobilisation paragraph.

MaxD

Seriously doe

How are you guys so amazing?

All this started because we wanted information John Stephen keir's son (my grandfather) and we have ended up with all this info about his father and uncle and nothing on him hahaha but I love it its incredible to think that there's a big family out there 

I am so extremely grateful to you all

12 hours ago, Teresa2167 said:

John Stephen keir's son (my grandfather)

I don't see any query about John Stephen Keir's son but he would be outwith the time frame covered by this forum.  Is that the Stephen Olson born 1916  named on the pension card?

MaxD

Edited by MaxD

From the RFC Communiques:

29 April 1917 with observation by Lt JPV Lavelock 12 Sqn obtained 4 direct hits on a hostile battery and caused 2 explosions

I hope this is of some interest

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys 

Me again.... sorry to be a pain  but I cant understand what this medal card says. I'm trying to get a photo of what his medal would have been like and a replica of his dog tags but I cant work out what it says. I imagine it's just a simple medal 

Screenshot_20210820-145112_Messenger.jpg

1 hour ago, Teresa2167 said:

I'm trying to get a photo of what his medal would have been like and a replica of his dog tags but I cant work out what it says. I imagine it's just a simple medal 

He was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal.

He may not have ever received/claimed them as on the back of the card [long hand version] is;

Officer in Charge Records requests authority to dispose of medals 30.10.1922

His current next of kin may still be able to claim them on behalf of the family.

pair.JPG

Edited by Alan24

Oh wow

How emotional 

Thank you so much.

I must say from a family that didn't know their history to have all this information is truly heartwarming 

• 1 year later...

Hi my great grand father was in the 67th seige also would you be able to let me know where I might be able to find a photo of him like the one above